Black Widow: Flawless

A lot of Marvel fans are hyped over the new Marvel movie, Black Widow. It has got everything: action, humor, and a good plot. I plan to cover the three main parts of a movie: plot, characters, and overall craftsmanship. Before I start, *spoilers* duh.

First, we have the plot. Natasha joins her sister to fight against her big arch-nemesis, General Dreykov. Black Widow, with the help of Clint Barton, killed Dreykov as a part of her initiation into SHIELD. Yelena tells Natasha that he is still alive and training other girls like them. The worst part is the new girls do not have free will.

The sisters band together to put an end to this monster by breaking their father, Alexi Shostakov out of jail. He takes them to their mother, Melina Vostokoff. Of course, she is loyal to Dreykov and betrays them. At least that’s what we thought. Natasha and Melina wore face changers (I don’t know what they are called, so face changers it is). Natasha outsmarts the villain and the final battle is awesome. They save the day. 

The plot is a solid storyline. Although the story has no major plot holes, I found it unrealistic that this happened after Captain America: Civil War. Marvel could have at least had someone refers to this adventure in one of their other films. Marvel plans everything. They even have different phases planned. In the other Avenger movies, we never hear about this adventure. Also, I would have loved a standalone story about Natasha and Clint’s initiation into SHEILD. 

Second, are the characters. Natasha is awesome like always. You can understand her better after learning about her past. I am glad we got more than just a little snipped of her training as a young girl in the other Marvel movies. Yelena is the best. She is definitely the younger sister and hilarious.

Speaking of humor, the Red Guardian is sometimes funny other times annoying. However, my favorite scene from the movie is when he sings American Pie to Yelena. I am picking up second-hand dad embarrassment. But I feel like everyone can relate to that annoying dad with his little dad jokes.

Melina certainly surprised me. She was higher up the ranks than Red Guardian and is more loyal, but she betrays Dreykov after helping alert him to Black Widow’s whereabouts. Most importantly, I found the villain understandable. Some movies are great except for a two-dimensional villain. Dreykov has his own motives for the Black Widow program. 

Lastly is the overall craftsmanship. The fight scenes were well made with lots of action. High praises from me. The characters resembled a real family in some ways, yet with resentment and anger. The villain was a big bad and well-developed too. One of the most important things in movies is that the protagonist cannot walk away from the conflict. With Dreykov as the creator of the Black Widow, there could have been no higher stakes in this fight. 

When considering how flawless this Marvel Movie is, the Black Widow is perfect for the movie theater, a casual Friday watching Disney Plus, or family movie night. Leave a comment on what you thought of the movie and which one you want me to watch next. 

5 Comments on Black Widow: Flawless

1. Elizabeth Chinlund
    October 8, 2021 at 12:40 pm (3 years ago)

I love watching Marvel Movies and I usually do so with my family, so I love the topic you have chosen for your blog! Due to my demanding school work load and involvement in sports here at Penn State, I have found that I have had no time to watch the movies or even TV shows that I love. Therefore, I love that you are providing a quick summary on them so that I can feel like I am watching it at home with my family again.

Reply
  2. Cassy Edwards
    October 8, 2021 at 12:41 pm (3 years ago)

I haven’t gotten a chance to watch Black Widow yet but I have read some articles about how the sexualization of the character has been decreasing when it comes to what she wears and how she is portrayed which pretty cool in my opinion. Although your style of writing in these blogs is not necessarily persuasive, it does an amazing job at engaging the reader. I for one am now even more interested in seeing the movie.

Reply
  3. Kayla Cwalina
    October 8, 2021 at 12:58 pm (3 years ago)

I love Marvel movies so much but I definitely need to brush up on the MCU. I have not watched Black Widow as of yet but I need to. I really like how you talk through the plot, character, and your overall opinion of the movie as it is really engaging.

Reply
  4. Kaylah Tengeya
    October 8, 2021 at 1:03 pm (3 years ago)

I JUST WATCHED THAT MOVIE ON LIKE WEDNESDAY! I loved it. I hate the cgi or whatever green screen they used at the end of the movie when the sister got blown off the plane but the action throughout the whole movie was amazing. The post credit scene was interesting I wonder how they will expand off of it (if they do). I also wonder how prominent Yelena will be in the universe moving forward.

Reply
  5. Sebastian Tilley
    October 8, 2021 at 1:08 pm (3 years ago)

I have never seen a Marvel movie but I really enjoy reading your blogs. I feel like I fully understand the movies after reading these. I love your voice they’re really entertaining to read.

Reply