Guardians of the Galaxy: I am Groot

Watch Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy | Full Movie | Disney+

Image

I was scrolling through the comments debating over which Avenger to do next. You guys left so many great suggestions. I’m joking. I had no comments last week. I loved Ant-Man! Does nobody else feel the same? This means I can pick whatever I want. This week is another favorite of mine: Guardians of the Galaxy. Hopefully, someone likes this movie as much as I do.

In the opening scene, Peter Quill’s mother dies. Killing the parents is a trademark of Disney, so no surprise there. He runs outside where he is abducted by a spaceship. We fast forward two decades to Quill stealing an orb.

Next, we meet the children of Thanos. This movie might be the first time we hear Thanos’ name. We have Ronan, the spoiled brat child. There are also the sisters, Gamora and Nebula. Nebula wants to prove herself, but Gamora basically insults her and goes in her place.

On Xandar, the rat race begins. Gamora attacks and takes the orb from Peter. Then Groot and Rocket intervene to collect their bounty: Gamora. This fight ends with Xandar forces capturing all of them with star-shaped mini-spaceships. I honestly do not know the proper name of these things or what to call them.

As the group is entering the prison, we get a good bit of background information. We additionally learn that Groot can only say three words: I am Groot. Personally, I was tempted to write this blog using only those three words. The group meets Drax – who tries to kill Gamora because Thanos killed his family. The group sits down to discuss an escape plan. Groot decides that the audience does not want to wait for them to break out and steals an energy box, altering the guards.

We actually get to see Thanos. Although, all I could think about was the weird chair he sat in. It seems Thanos hates both Ronan and Nebula but loves Gamora.

The group successfully escapes and makes their way to the collector on Knowhere. We see how dysfunctional the group is. Additionally, we see the true power of the orb. They realize that the Nova Corp, Xandar’s military base, is the only place that could contain the orb. Unfortunately, they forgot to babysit Drax and he called Ronan – the one person that they do not want to have the orb. Drax loses badly. Gamora is chased by Ronan’s army in mini-spaceships. Rocket and Star-lord save her by going after the spaceships. Meanwhile, Ronan betrays Thanos and uses the orb (an infinity stone) for himself.

Yondu kidnaps Peter and Gamora. So, Rocket, Groot, and Drax team up to get them back. However, Gamora and Quill have already talked their way out of being prisoners. The group, Yondu’s crew, and the Nova corp arm themselves to fight Ronan’s army. The Nova corp holds the line while Star-lord’s group infiltrates Ronan’s spaceship to steal the infinity stone. Gamora and Nebula get their fight scene, and Rocket protects the people of Xandar.

When Groot said, “we are Groot,” I cried. Besides that, the ending was a little unfulfilling. Peter challenged Ronan to a dance batter, which was highly original. This is seriously how they beat the villain. I liked how Peter could hold the infinity stone when the group was helping him. Although, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 proposes a different explanation. But, that is a story for another week.

Overall, this Marvel movie was highly unique and very well made. All of the characters were realistic and well-developed. I loved the music – especially baby Groot dancing. The humor made this film all the more enjoyable. Let me know in the comments what you thought of Guardians of the Galaxy and what movie you want me to review next.

5 Comments on Guardians of the Galaxy: I am Groot

1. Owen Hall
    November 12, 2021 at 2:59 pm (3 years ago)

I really enjoyed both Antman and Guardians of the Galaxy (I’m sad I missed the blog last week). I really liked how What If approached the guardians of the galaxy with their episode about what if tchalla became star lord. I found it super interesting, especially being a big fan of the movie. I see a lot of this movie as a comedy, so I would recommend your next movie to be the funniest one: Ragnarök.

Reply
  2. Ainsley Spitz
    November 12, 2021 at 4:20 pm (3 years ago)

Groot is my favorite!! I actually have a Groot mug in my dorm room that I use for my tea. I have to say, I think I love the character of baby Groot a little better in the second movie than adult Groot in the first one. He’s just so cute! Also, I love Ant-Man, too. He’s so funny! Sorry I missed the post last week!

Reply
  3. Jaxon-Blake
    November 12, 2021 at 9:42 pm (3 years ago)

I really enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy! My favorite part had to be the the scene when rocket told Quill that he needed that on guy’s arm. AND QUILL GOT IT! I think that next week you should talk about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Reply
  4. Elizabeth Chinlund
    November 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm (3 years ago)

I also loved Guardians of the Galaxy! I think the addition of Groot gave the movie a slight comedic aspect, as well as having the audience absolutely fall in love and have empathy for a character that has almost no lines in the movie. Keep up with the Guardians of the Galaxy reviews for your posts, especially since these are on of my favorite movies:)

Reply
  5. Cassy Edwards
    November 14, 2021 at 4:56 pm (3 years ago)

I don’t think I’ve fully watched Guardians of The Galaxy before. Groot is definitely one of the cutest Marvel characters and the movie sounds pretty funny. I’m putting it on my list, especially after reading your post this week!

Reply