Eternals: What did I just Watch?

Eternals: New trailer and Release date - Marvel Studios | Marca

Image

Eternals was an overall good addition to the MCU. Moving forward, I want to focus on analysis above reviewing Marvel films. However, I have a lot to unpack in this piece of junk (because I don’t swear).

There are potential spoilers in my rant about the worst scene in the MCU history – and I truly mean that it was the WORSE part ever.

There is one major part we must discuss: THAT scene. You know the one I’m talking about. The one where you take your little kids to the movie theater to watch the family movie – Eternals, and two half-naked characters are doing it on screen showing basically everything. Why marvel? What the heck Disney? The MCU has always been kid friendly. This scene did not help move along the plot, yet it scarred the minds of little kids forever.

I did not care about these kind of scenes in the Marvel movie Deadpool. That film advertised themselves to adult audiences and made it clear there would be adult scenes. However, Eternals gave no hint this FAMILY movie would incorporate an adult scene. Branding this film for families like most MCU Avenger movies was a massive mistake.

Watch Deadpool Streaming Online | Hulu (Free Trial)

Image

One of the worst decisions from Disney is keeping this scene in the Disney Plus version. This means that while parents think they can get Disney Plus for their kids to watch family shows, kids can stumble upon this movie and see what I was not expecting. I will personally switch blog topics if this is the theme of future MCU movies. 

That scene was inappropriate and off brand for Disney. I feel the need to start a petition over this and potentially sue Disney for betraying customer loyalty and trust. It would be different if the audience is watching a movie rated TV-MA. But this took everyone by surprise – including little kids who did not know what was happening.

Eternals' Hottest Romance Is Druig and Makkari

Image

Moving on from THAT, I want to talk about my favorite characters. I ship Makkari and Druig together – a ship in fanfiction is when you want two characters to get together (for all the noobs out there). Since this movie has some weird and unpronounceable names, Makkari is the deaf speedster and Druig is the mind controller. They had a special connection that did not disappear after a long time apart. It was truly special unlike the stockum syndrome Siri and Superman had. I don’t care that I don’t know their names. My favorite character is a tie between Gilgamesh and Phastos. I wish Sprite would have been the character who died. Although, I guess she kind of will in 80 years lol.

The best part about the Eternals movie is the cast diversity. The group of Eternals contained numerous racial backgrounds and even a character with a disability. In the film, Thena has a condition called Mahd Wy’ry, which is similar to Dementia. Additionally, Phastos had a husband. Disney movies usually subtly hint at same couple romances, but Eternals was more direct. This is a step in the right direction. Given how huge the group was, I wonder which characters will be in the Avengers cross-over movies?

ETERNALS Star David Kaye Talks Arishem Deleted Scenes And Dealing With Marvel Studios' Secrecy (Exclusive)

Image

The special effects were perfect, as usual in Marvel movies. Which brings me to the second worst part of this film. The villain is Arishem. I understand they use different technology. I love when MCU movies do this. Yet with all that (even in creating the Eternals) the big bad guy is a red robot that looks worse than the robot from Lost in Space. The Celestials are robots – very poorly made robots. Who is letting them make these decisions in Disney HQ? I really admired the director Chloé Zhao’s take on the Eternals, but red space robots and half nude scenes? What is going on here?

Can we take a minute to acknowledge the end credit scenes. First, we meet Thano’s BROTHER, Starfox, played by Harry Styles (thank you Disney). He wants to help the Eternals fight the big bad Arishem. But can they trust him?

There is also a minor hint at the Black Knight. The Black Knight is a MCU comic book character. He was Sersi’s boyfriend in the film (not the jerk ex-boyfriend). He will likely be making a bigger appearance in future films. It is also important to note that Sersi led the Avengers in the comics. Her love for humans makes her a perfect candidate to lead the Avengers, if the MCU continues this pattern of drawing characters from their comic books.

In conclusion, Eternals made some drastic choices that may change the direction of future Marvel films. Can we expect more graphic scenes moving forward?

2 Comments on Eternals: What did I just Watch?

1. Ged
    January 28, 2022 at 1:03 pm (3 years ago)

From my understanding, Marvel Eternals seems to be another version of the Avengers. Instead, they tossed an immortal alien race to be the center of attention… cool concept. My favorite marvel movie has to be the Avengers, although I have not seen Eternals!

Reply
  2. David
    January 28, 2022 at 6:10 pm (3 years ago)

I haven’t seen the movie, but it’s my understanding that although most Marvel movies are PG-13, kids of all ages go to see them. I agree that it’s pretty weird they would have a graphic sex scene in a movie like that, pretty irresponsible of the filmmakers.

Reply