Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: Real Representation

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) - IMDb

Movie Poster

Let’s discuss one of the best films in 2021: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. SPOILERS! The plot was original and strong. It was about a family dealing with grief and death. The fight scenes were EPIC! I also loved the unique take on the car chase scene. The film leaves me wanting to learn more about pocket dimensions especially with speculation over the multiverse. I am curious how those two concepts will play out. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings could be a stand-alone Marvel film as it has few ties to the Avenger Universe. 

I am so glad to see Marvel include Asian representation with this film. There have been Asian characters like Wong from Dr. Strange, Agent May from Marvel’s Agents of Shield (TV series), and Jimmy Woo (Ant-Man and WandaVision). However, Marvel has never had a film starring an Asian hero let alone have the entire plotline intertwined with Asian culture.

I am also super proud of the female representation within the film. I loved Awkwafina’s character, Katy. A lot of Marvel films have a comical male sidekick who is in awe of the superheroes. But Shang-Chi has a female best friend. I love how she is just her goofy self the whole time. In fact, when she learns how to use a bow and arrow, Katy is not a professional overnight. I love that realism. Katy represents real women, not perfect women. It is additionally great to see an amazing friendship form between Katy and Xialing – two women who are nearly complete opposites.

katy gifs | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

Katy Gif

Although I totally want Katy and Shawn to get together, I am glad they kept their relationship a friendship for several reasons. First, if they have known each other for so long, then they would already be together. Second, neither one of them shows interest in the other (only outside friends and family want them to date). Lastly and most importantly, they should remain friends because more female characters need to be represented outside of a romantic role in movies. Writers should not add a female character simply to act as a love interest. Also, their relationship shows that two people of the opposite gender can just be friends, a completely real concept.

Katy was not the only female representation, I loved Shawn’s sister, Xialing. I admire how she built a fight ring by herself and runs a secret organization. She is different from other girls. However, this is not a toxic stereotype in this film because she does not bring down the other female characters. Xialing realizes the patriarchal structure is the reason she is different from other girls. Only men were allowed to train and fight, so Xialing had to practice on her own without anyone knowing. I love how this comes full circle. At the end of the movie, she rules her dad’s secret operation with major changes including training women. 

Shang-Chi: Every Character In The Ten Rings Tournament

Xialing

Finally, let’s talk about that post-credit scene. I am a huge fan of cameos in movies. Albeit, the Captain Marvel and Hulk cameo appeared forced. I found it hilarious how Shawn and Katy are inducted into the Avenger team simply because Wong picked up on a signal from the rings. Speaking of the rings, what do you think the Ten Rings are made of? And where are the rings sending their signal? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

3 Comments on Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: Real Representation

1. Cade Weaver
    February 4, 2022 at 12:56 pm (2 years ago)

I love your blogging topic. I wish I had the time to watch movies while at college but I do not. I have gotten very tired of Marvel movies in recent years. They feel very redundant and shallow from a rhetorical prospective but do I stop watching them? No. I will try to get around to watching this one; your enthusiasm makes me hopeful that I won’t say to myself “not again”. Nice blogging.

Reply
  2. Jaxon-Blake
    February 4, 2022 at 1:19 pm (2 years ago)

I would not put Shang-Chi as one of the best marvel movies. I liked it but it had its slow moments. I do like how they utilized Asian characters and allowed for a friendship between a guy and a girl to just be a friendship. Love the blog!

Reply
  3. Fiona Healy
    February 4, 2022 at 8:31 pm (2 years ago)

I absolutely adore everything to do with Marvel. However, I have always had a problem with the female representation of women in the MCU. Sure, the female characters are strong willed and very powerful. I mean Scarlett Witch has proved her power and strength by creating an entire alternate life. Pepper Potts refuses to allow Tony Stark the satisfaction of her giving in to his playboy charm. However, their plot ends up with them being a couple with one of the male leads. I really liked how you pointed out the change this movie had for female characters in the MCU. They are not the main characters, but they stole the show in a way that had nothing to do with how pretty or feminine they are. Great job!

Reply