How Brandywine Plans to Tackle Division Three Athletics

By: Izeah Bennett, Lion’s Eye Staff Writer, ijb5250@psu.edu  

Eighteen wins, four losses, and two tied games. As the Penn State Brandywine men’s soccer team heads into the offseason after playoffs and a long season, they are fed through this break by heart and determination. They are also ready to begin playing under a new conference.  

One player had a very successful season, letting in zero goals throughout the season. William Manarpaac, the sophomore goalkeeper from Texas, looks forward to his upcoming junior season as part of NCAA Division III. “Being at Brandywine is just a great environment and the soccer team is like my family,” said Manarpaac.  

Although they had another stellar season, winning their conference, the Penn State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC), they were unable to capture the national title they had worked so hard to obtain.  

Penn State Brandywine was recently accepted into the United East Conference, a section of the NCAA’s division III program. All Brandywine teams are expected to undergo this change come the 2024-2025 season. Although this is a monumental achievement for the university’s athletic program, no one seems worried about it. If anything, they seem excited.  

On February 2, Dr. Joshua Phillips, associate teaching professor of CAS and Brandywine’s DIII Faculty Athletics Representative, traveled to Arizona for a conference regarding the transition into the NCAA. Shedding some light on the whole process he said, “as the faculty athletics representative . . . I am the faculty member who brings the concerns of the faculty to the athletic department and the chancellor.”  

Phillips also said that the student athletic body and administration couldn’t be more excited to start Brandywine’s newest sport chapter. “This change from the PSUAC to Division III sports will help elevate Penn State Brandywine’s status.”  

Coming from a sports background and wrestling at a division I program at Central Michigan University, Phillips says, “. . . I hope to bring my collegiate athletic experience to Brandywine and use my experience to help prepare for what is ahead.”  

On top of all the promising athletic steps ahead, Phillips also ensures that students actively participating in extra-curricular activities keep on top of grades and schoolwork. “I want the players to stay eligible and not miss their classes. We make sure that they receive the tutoring they need . . . address academic eligibility issues all before they arise,” said Phillips.  

Manarpaac, for one, is very excited to see what it would be like to play for a division III team.  “This is the best soccer team I’ve ever played for and taking that step from PSUAC to NCAA Division III soccer would be challenging and rewarding at the same time,” said Manarpaac. Hoping to finally achieve the title they have been chasing, he is excited to play Brandywine soccer one last time.  

As one can see, Brandywine invested in their athletics and the entire school. While Brandywine continues to move towards their DIII future, it will be exciting to see the impact of the changes in athletics.

Be the first to comment on "How Brandywine Plans to Tackle Division Three Athletics"