Blog Post 2

Blog Post 2

Mahdiyyah Wilson

Jenna Hruska

Blog 2

State Colleges Little Piece of Jamaica

STATE COLLEGE, PA- With Halloween just a little less than two weeks away store owners in the downtown area decorate their front windows, and in particular Michael Hultberg better known as Uncle Mike, owner of Jamaica Junction located on Pugh St takes pride in his display.

“I did this all myself and they better damn like it,” said Hultberg. “ My favorite part of working in this shop is everything. Look around look at the people; this isn’t like working like Subway or McDonalds.

Hulgbert has been running the shop since 2003 when it first opened, as he relocated from Jamaica after living there for 20 years. His partner felt as though he was the perfect person to open the store location, as has the true authentication of an islander.

The store is covered in the countries flag, which contains colors red, yellow, and green. They sell things from nose rings to hookahs but what really draws customers in are the hundreds of glass pipes in all sorts of shapes and sizes on the second floor of the store. This area is for 18 year-olds and up, and is where Uncle Mike spends most of his time interacting with his customers assisting them and giving his true wise words.

“How many people do you know that are 70-years-old that are doing this? I get to dress the way I want, listen to the music I want. Most of them that are 70 in this town, do you know where they are? At the public assistance office talking about death and hemorrhoids everyday. I on the other hand have more important things to do like run the store and stay busy. “

Customers as out spoken, relatable, and a huge people person have described Uncle Mike. Greeting customers with warm welcomes by saying “ Anything you need girl let me know, I’m here to help.

He loves the college area, as his customers are spunky young adults who always come back to visit him for another purchase or just to say hi.

Uncles Mikes own words of advice, “ If you want to stay young don’t hang with old people.”

His shop and interaction with the customers keep his spirits young and high.

fullsizerender

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.