Terrible Twos

This week’s blog follows two year old Jess.

For those of you that have never interacted with a toddler, let me paint a picture. They exude a terrible trifecta of lovability, attitude, and recklessness. They are essentially tiny middle schoolers minus the hormones. And sometimes, they use their adorableness as a manipulation tactic…

My Achilles’ heel has always been crying. When I see one of my kids in pain, I just want to help them make it go away. Unfortunately, do to their reckless nature, toddlers are very often in pain. Especially, Jess.

Over the summer, just before Jess had turned three, I took her to the park. She, being the adventurous kid she is, wanted to climb everything. No piece of equipment was un-climbable to Jess. I didn’t think anything of this because she had never gotten hurt before with me. Sure, she had tripped and fallen on the playground a few times, but never any blood and certainly never any tears.

After about an hour of playing on the playground, Jess went through a tunnel and came out with a nose bleed. I shrieked and immediately ran to her. She wasn’t crying and seemed completely unfazed. In fact she just looked up at me and said, “I bleeding.”

I picked her up and said it was time to go home and clean her up, but she didn’t want to leave. As she was bleeding all over herself and me, she started crying. This set off alarms with other parents on the playground, because I was very obviously not Jess’ mom. It also didn’t help that I was clearly in a rush to leave the playground.

Luckily, one of the dads on the playground came to my aid with napkins and let me know that he saw Jess bump her face inside the tunnel, and reassured me that it was ok and that accidents happen.

This interaction calmed the other parents on the playground and allowed me to bring Jess home to clean her up. But she was still crying…

I tried to find every possible distraction to make her stop crying but nothing worked. I put on PJ Masks, broke out the coloring books, and even tried bribing Jess with candy, but nothing worked. After about an hour of her crying, I looked at the clock and realized the time…

She was late for her nap.

I carried her up to her room, gave her a bottle while I read to her, and put her down to sleep.

It was then BOTH of our nap times.

3 thoughts on “Terrible Twos

1. I loved your ending and the way you used an alliteration to describe your interactions. I think this focus on your writing style makes your blog posts even more fun to read. Keep up the great work!

2. Great use of allusion to begin, it really set the tone for the rest of your post. Your posts are always so fun to read because you use the writing styles of the week to the fullest extent.

3. I really liked your use of alliteration in the beginning of your post. I also think your title fits the story perfectly in which sometimes kids just have a switch in behavior and sometimes its overlooked by other actions.