Understanding Filmmaking…to a Degree

I read this article about the “5 stages” of understanding filmmaking on MasterClass.com, and I have some thoughts that more or less disagree with what the article tries to get across with its readers.

Film Crew
Source: Wikimedia Commons

Far Too Simple

Perhaps the greatest issue I have with this article is how it tries to boil down the art of filmmaking in just a measly 3-minute read. I understand if the writer or writers wanted to lay a basic foundation on the process of filmmaking for someone who may just want to start learning about the subject, but even then this provides a far too simple-minded approach. Some of the greatest films have been produced and distributed without all of the big-budget concerns. The article’s tone makes it sound like films must be created in this exact manner in order to get it made and to get it out there. Not once does the article discuss the creative process behind the assets of filmmaking such as writing, directing, shooting, etc.

This lack of (or complete absence of) acknowledging creative processes, such as creating a story or embedding life into the project through nuance and detail, ignores the most important quality of filmmaking: thematic depth. Theming is what brings films to life, whether it be through depicting naturalistic scenarios or trying to prove a philosophical point. If there is no theme or heart behind the story of a film, then it is more than likely it will not be very good, nor will it hold any merit for revisiting in the future.

Disregards Independence

Independent filmmaking is perhaps the most important facet of the film industry. It is because of indie filmmaking that the industry, as well as the art, has been revolutionized several times throughout the decades due to passionate creators who stopped at nothing to get their film created and seen. Do they think half of these independent filmmakers had the time or the money to gather every resource this article deems “essential?” Of course not! Most of the time, indie films are created purely on passion and whim.

Plenty of times, in fact, I have read quotes from great and successful filmmakers who have given advice to young, aspiring filmmakers such as, “just go out and film something,” or “use your phone if you have to.” The article should not give off the impression that big-budget, studio filmmaking is the only way that films can be made. There is a chance this could come off as a very misguided approach and possibly discourage those who want to start making filmsĀ now.

Only A Basic Framework

The article feels as though it was written by someone who has no personal experience on a film set, but they researched how one was made and put it into this condensed and fundamental write-up. It is very much a “Filmmaking for Dummies” type article, which is one of its only redeeming qualities as it provides a standard framework on how Hollywood films are made but from the most rudimentary standpoint possible. It does not cover the certain hardships or struggles filmmakers may potentially face during pre-production, production, and post-production.

Allow me to take a step back: I am not calling this article out for being wrong, per se, nor is it misinformed or inaccurate. I am merely troubled by how this article does not once acknowledge the specific situations or issue one may encounter in making a film. In terms of content, it provides a formally structured and broadly packed summary on the general assets it takes to make a film.

Finally, as someone who has watched and researched the making of many films, this article provided me with nothing new that may benefit my knowledge in the field. I understand the good intentions of the writer or writers, but this article frankly offers nothing substantially important in terms of being deeply educational or informative beyond a surface-level understanding. Articles that expand on this framework and delve far deeper into the creative process can be read here, here, and here.

I understand the good intentions of the writer or writers, but this article frankly offers nothing substantially important in terms of being deeply educational or informative beyond a surface-level understanding.

One thought on “Understanding Filmmaking…to a Degree

1. mir5487

Caden, I really enjoyed reading about your perspective of this article, as well your knowledge of the industry. I learned that filmmaking is a complex art that can’t be taught in a hurry. You mentioned how the article enforces strict guidelines and how they were meaningless. This idea perfectly correlates to the real-world as there are many ways to do something. Thinking outside the box can always benefit you. I wish you the best in the film industry!

Reply