A White Horse With Black Stripes

In 2008, Banksy paid a visit to the Malian capital, Timbuktu, where he created a mural of a woman hanging a zebra’s stripes out to dry. The image was featured in his blockbuster show at the Bristol Museum

banksy zebra

I am surprised by the fact that this is one of Banksy’s least known works, as it has become one of my favorites. There is very little commentary online concerning the meaning of this piece, which makes it all the more interesting. Anyone could look at this piece and see a different message. Is the woman stripping the zebra of it’s unique feature? Or is the woman making the zebra see its hidden beauty? Or is this piece a call to action concerning the droughts that often plague Africa? Every single person could have a different interpretation of this piece, which is what makes it so neat.

I personally like to view it as the stripping of “uniqueness.” I think too often our society is caught up in the concept that everyone should “dare to be different.” Whether it be we should engage in activities we normally wouldn’t partake in, wear an abstract piece of clothing, or dye our hair a different color.  Although I do agree with the statement, I think we have become slightly obsessed. Why do I have to dare to be different? Aren’t I special in my own way, without all those physical changes?

In reality, I believe the intention behind this piece was to raise awareness about the drought. However, the last major drought in Africa occurred almost five years ago. But as you can see, Banksy’s piece is still relevant, because it is able to be applied to so many topics. It is timeless, as is most of Banksy’s street art.

Have you seen a Banksy piece that has interested you? Let me know and I’ll review it next week!