The Center for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research (CALPER) at The Pennsylvania State University is one of the national Language Resource Centers (LRC) funded by the U.S. Department of Education. It was established in 2002.
The mission of CALPER is to strengthen and promote language learning at the advanced levels of proficiency.
In its work, CALPER has focused on supporting language education through
• developing innovative teaching materials,
• expanding language learning assessment procedures,
• conducting critical research to inform teaching practice,
• creating online professional development resources, and
• offering workshops for language educators.
CALPER’s 2014-2018 projects are carried out by a team of project coordinators from The Pennsylvania State University, Carnegie Mellon University, the University of California-Los Angeles, the California State University Channel Islands, the University of Illinois-Chicago, the University of Oklahoma, the University of Miami, and the DLIFLC at Monterey.