Eating Healthy

Eating healthy. Those words make any normal person cringe. Those two words on their own bring up great images of people who are lean, fit, and overall healthy, but at the same time it just sounds so much like limiting yourself. That’s the hardest part about eating healthy.

For starters, I would like to clear up any confusion about dieting. Dieting is a noun that was made into a verb, and honestly, I don’t like it one bit. A diet, as defined by Wikipedia, is “the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism.” So a diet is not what people and the media make it out to be. “Diet” does not have to be a cringe word, because you are on a diet right now. “Dietary habits are the habitual decisions an individual or culture makes when choosing what foods to eat.” So, simply by making decisions on what you want to eat, you are dieting. If you choose to eat an entire cheesecake to yourself instead of eating a salad, you are dieting. Now, eating a whole cheesecake isn’t something I would encourage, but I think you get the point.

There are a few key essentials to a healthy diet. Every day, you should make sure that you consume protein, vegetables, fruit, and water. These are pretty much the key essentials to living  healthy life. I would also recommend adding taking a multivitamin to your routine just to ensure that you have everything you need in order to be and feel healthy. Personally, as a man who does intense work outs regularly, I would recommend Mega Men Sport. In reality though, one multivitamin is hardly different than another multivitamin. You may pick up two bottles of multivitamins and compare what each one has in it, but in reality, there is no major difference between the two. The reason why I choose Mega Men Sport is because it has everything that a normal multivitamin has, but it also has a bunch of great nutrients for high intensity work outs.

We probably all remember these.

Maintaining a healthy diet is easy for some, but it is a large struggle for others. Some people suffer from either living in an environment that encourages a poor diet or a lack of access to a healthy diet. The most important part of maintaining a healthy diet is constantly reminding yourself why you are on a diet in the first place. What are your goals? What do you want to achieve? How do you want to feel? After a while, your brain will start to answers those questions for you and you won’t have to consciously think about what you choose to include or not to include in your diet. I know that’s something that happened to me. I like it, but at the same time I hate it. Foods that I used to love no longer taste good to me if they’re not healthy just because I have gotten so used to a healthy lifestyle. I love steak, but I’ve cut red meat out of my diet (don’t worry, I still eat chicken.)

In conclusion, dieting is tough, but it is easy if you constantly remind yourself why you are doing it.

6 thoughts on “Eating Healthy

1. mxb1084

It was nice how you cleared the air on the concept of “dieting.” You are totally right that the media had made the word “diet” a taboo word that means starving oneself. In reality, like you said, it is just the habits of our eating. And also the self-motivation is the hardest part. If you don’t remind yourself of why you are doing it, it is easy to slip back into bad habits.

2. Charles Lane Burrows

This is a very interesting, yet also very obvious idea that most people really overlook. People hear the word “diet” and assume it involves limiting what we eat, but in reality our diet IS what we’re eating. Diets can be good or bad, it’s not always a good thing. I also take a multivitamin each morning, so I can vouch for their importance. In an environment like Penn State, it’s important to do everything you can to take care of your body.

3. ank5288

I like that you approach the topic of dieting in your blog post, as it is not something that everyone realizes or truly thinks about. People tend to shy away from or complete embrace the word diet because of what they think it means without actually realizing that a diet is just what you eat. In making the transition to college, I have been examining my diet to make sure that I am still receiving all of the nutrition that I need. Once I realized that I was not getting enough protein, I started eating more Greek yogurt and supplementing my diet with protein bars. College students have really busy lives and it is important to maintain a balanced diet in order to remain healthy and happy!

4. Gabrielle Cilea

I think the connotation around the word “dieting” has led people to thinking it is bad. In reality, maintaining a diet is a healthy life skill. Everything in moderation is okay! I agree that a multivitamin is crucial to maintaining a diet, which reminds me that I should pick one up on my way to Wegmans today. I think it is especially hard at college for students to maintain a diet because of the a la cart options. I have found that my best way to manage my eating is to go take out at the buffets; therefore you can only go up once and you have to choose what you want more wisely. Using the to go cup is crucial too! Filling the box with my lunch/dinner, I use the cup for fresh fruit or my mini salad.

5. Apoorva Garigipati

Dieting is something I feel everyone has a misconception about. It can be quite satisfying knowing that you are trying to eat something healthy and will not regret consuming it later. I like how you gave a clear definition of dieting and are trying to inform people about what it really is. It was also helpful to read about what you should ask yourself when you’re dieting.

6. wqp5050

I like your post as it focuses on helping people better themselves without denying that it will be a bit of a challenge. As for myself, I try to eat healthy, focusing mainly on protein and adding in vegetables and fruits as need be. For drinks, I only like water and milk, which I think you would agree are the two best choices on the market. However, I do not take vitamins and you bring up a good point about how important they are. I also workout frequently, so I will definitely look into acquiring some Mega Men Sport Vitamins, as these seem to be what are working for you. Thanks for helping me find another component to add to a healthy diet!