Ads for Rhetorical Analysis

There are many different ads that I am considering using for my rhetorical analysis. Below are a few.

“It’s not happening here, but it is happening now.”

This ad was very moving to me when I saw it. A lot of factors play into why the rhetoric of this piece is so strong. For starters, the kairos of the ad is blatant when the ad states that “It’s not happening here, but it is happening now.” This ad calls attention to the atrocities that are happening in the world at this very moment. The ad appeals very strongly to pathos, as the subject pictured in the image is a cute, lost looking kid, who appears to have absolutely no idea why he has a gun in his hand. This appeals to the idea of a loss of innocence, which is likely to strike right at home for a lot of people. This ad also appeals to ethos in how it uses the glass in the image to make it appear as if the kid actually is there, which reinforces the idea of just how real this problem is in today’s world.

“Sleepiness is stronger than you. Don’t drive sleepy.”

This is a very eerie advertisement which discourages driving while you are overtired. The advertisement appeals to pathos because of the car on the upper eye lid which is approaching the family on the bottom lid as the eye closes more and more. People can see what the sad outcome would be if the eye was ever to fully close. This appeals to logos because people know that it is almost impossible to fight sleep when one is overtired and dangerous things can come out of that. The ad appeals to ethos because most people know of many accidents that have happened before because someone fell asleep at the wheel. There is not much of an appeal to kairos here, as this is an ongoing problem that needs to be prevented, but can never be fully solved.

3 thoughts on “Ads for Rhetorical Analysis

1. vag5076

In regards to your first advertisement I agree with you that it is a very pressing matter. A couple of nights ago I watched the movie “Blood Diamonds” starring Leonardo Bae DeCaprio, and if you don’t know what it is about. It tells the story of the civil war in Sierra Leone, and how much of the Revolutionary Forces were made up of child soldiers. It was frightful, and according to a professor of mine, from that nation, accurate. There is a definite use of pathos, strongly inviting aid from our nation to wherever this child is from.

2. Joseph Evans

I remember seeing that first ad a long time ago, and I particularly liked it when I saw it a while back, so I’m glad you resurfaced it. I think that it’s incredibly powerful, as first world citizens are often disconnected from the atrocities committed in foreign countries; I don’t think that there’s any better way to show them those atrocities by actually placing an image of a child soldier in context (a warzone that is right where you’re standing). That ad is the epitome of a rhetorical one, as it uses all of those main factors that you wrote about.

3. nqr5090

I believe the two ads you picked were very powerful and deep. Unlike some ads (and the ones I used), these ads are more detailed and take more thought to come to a conclusion of what the ad is about and how we feel about it, and yet these ads are some of the most riveting I have ever seen. The clash of the kid versus the gun always plays on our emotion, and the pathos of the situation makes us guiltily feel for the kid and wherever they grew up, as we know that our kids are treated much better here. I love the bottom advertisement, as it makes you figure out what would happen if the person’s eyes were to close and fall asleep; the innocent looking man and kid would be killed. Overall, great choices on ads and nice explanations.