Why College Students Need Yoga

Yoga is “a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation.” (Google definition.) Every college student should consider doing yoga. There are numerous benefits of doing yoga. If you don’t at least give yoga a shot, then you’re missing out.

College students are the #1 most stressed demographic of people in the United States today (Source.) We all know the stress that comes with being a college student, whether that stress is because we have way too much work to do or if we don’t have any work to do and we feel like we should. Before I came to college, people told me the greatest thing about college is the extreme amount of free time that you have. What I have found, is that free time is some of the busiest time of my day. Trying to juggle everything in our every day lives comes with a great amount of stress. Yoga has been shown to be able to greatly benefit the three main aspects of ourselves that are the most often affected by our stress: our body, mind and breathing. This is actually what yoga means. Yoga is Sanskrit for “union” because yoga unites these three things.

Yoga may seem intimidating to a beginner. A beginner may believe that he/she won’t be able to reap all of the benefits of yoga. I can tell you by experience that this is in all aspects wrong. I started doing yoga because my mom always talked it up to my brother and me, so we decided to sign up for a four session beginner class of heated yoga. At first it was difficult to get my muscles used to the motions. The first few times that you go through the movements, you begin to feel sore, but as the class progresses, that soreness is cleared from your mind. I would say that one of the greatest things about yoga is the amazing natural high you get from it. After a good class, you feel as if you are floating on a cloud. That is what I live for.

“Research suggests yoga affects how you perform in the classroom. It improves listening skills, enhances focus and concentration skills, and improves all-around awareness. Additionally, studies show that students who regularly partake in yoga are generally happier and more sociable, qualities that lend themselves to a better classroom environment.” (U.S. News Health.) If you are like me, then you know the struggle of trying to stay concentrated through a lecture. You may be staring at the professor and watching his/her lips move, but nothing is processing. The increased concentration and focus that comes from yoga is a nice way to patch this problem without having to look for alternative solutions.

Overall, yoga is a great way to improve your health. There are very few excuses to not do yoga. The great thing about yoga is that it is where all excuses dissolve and nothing else matters.