My Heart Belongs to Mykonos

On the morning of second official day in Greece, I felt revitalized after my first sleep following my very extensive sleep deprivation. I didn’t get to relax, however, because we had to be at the loading dock for our cruise at 9 AM. Armed with my oversized bag and a vivid imagination, I was ready for 4 days in paradise.

My dreams were somewhat squashed whenever I saw my less-than-luxurious accommodations, however. The Celestial Olympia is not exactly a five star cruise line. I was put in a tiny room with three other girls. There was not even a tiny port hole to look out of. There was no place for our suitcases. There was barely enough room to stand in the bathroom.

I was in hell.

My parent’s two-person room seemed like a luxury suite. They even had a reasonably sized port hole.The point of a cruise is not to stay in your room anyway, though, so in hindsight it was not that big of a deal. At least there was AC.

While waiting to dock in Mykonos, my family and I relaxed at a bar that sat on the highest part of the cruise ship. While sipping cocktails (virgin for me), we people-watched our fellow cruisers. We witnessed an amusing group of bathing-suite clad cruise goers participating in a Zumba class. I have photos, but I don’t want to lose my blog’s PG rating.

As the boat sped along, I admired the bright blue waters. It almost looked as if someone threw a blue cool-aid packet into the ocean. I don’t know why, but I was expecting the ocean to be a shade of emerald. I would never have believed it could be so blue if I had not seen it for myself.

That evening, we docked into the Mykonos port. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a place so white and clean. I don’t think I saw a spec of trash on the ground.

Mykonos is iconic for its windmills, which can be seen from anywhere on the island. They operated for nearly 300 years and were used in the breadmaking process. Today, some of these wind mills are houses!

A windmill I will turn into my single family home after I make my fortune.

Established in the 11th century BC, Mykonos was a simple poor island. Today, however, it is infamous for its nightlife. Lindsay Lohan even has a beach club there. Unfortunately(?), I did not spot this childhood super star while on my tour.

And the Churches, oh the churches! They are on every corner in Greece, especially on this island. White and simple on the outside, on the inside no expense in spared.

Even though this island is ultra-commercialized, it is still a must see. Nothing can quiet match watching the sun set reflect on the bright white buildings while caressing a gyro in your hand.

Have you ever seen such a beautiful place?

P.S.. Did you know lamb gyros are apparently a American thing? (I know, I didn’t believe it either, Americans get everything wrong).

4 thoughts on “My Heart Belongs to Mykonos

1. I absolutely love how your humor is becoming more apparent throughout your writing. It makes your story more captivating and entertaining to read. I think we are all starting to grow more comfortable blogging.

2. Wait what?? I’m not sure I believe your gyros comment, because I had a fantastic couple gyros in Greece. Mykonos is a fantastic place, but how did you avoid mentioning the blue and white color of literally every house there? That’s fantastic though. I also survived tight quarters like the ship, and I’ll agree, it was rough. Happy to hear you’re going to live on Mykonos one day. Get that fortune girl.

3. I absolutely love the pictures! The ocean was so beautiful. I have been on a few cruises myself and the feeling of sitting on the top deck looking at the endless sea is priceless. The city looked amazing too! I loved the windmills and the white buildings on the coast. I hope to visit someday, I love coastal cities and this looks to be a beautiful one. Can’t wait for your next post!