Korean Poetry! 한국 시

안녕하습니까? (an-nyeong-ha-shib-ni-ka)

Welcome to my first post!

I will introduce you to my favorite piece of Korean poetry! I chose to start off strong with a nation I am very passionate about, and a language I love learning! The poem I chose to discuss is very personal to me. At the Korean camp I attended these past 5 years, the poem was actually turned into a song and dance that I was able to teach some of the younger villagers! Also, during a special lecture from the dean of my camp and Stanford professor, 다희(Dahee), I was able to analyze and translate this text. I want to keep this blog interesting and open minded, so I am not going to focus so much on the analysis of the poetry, but rather provide a basis for understanding the significance of this piece. Let’s begin! 시작하겠습니다!

진달래꽃 (cheen-dal-lay kot) AKA Azalea Flower is one of many famous poems written by 김 소월 (Kim So Wol). The title “Azaleas” is actually the name chosen for the collection of his works!  Below I included a photo with both the Korean and English translation of the poem.

Image result for azalea flower korean poem translation

http://blog.susangaylord.com/2012/04/poetry-month-azaleas.html

When learning about literature, understanding the author’s background is crucial. It can provide context for the author’s writing style as well as offer another interpretation for meanings of behind poetry. Kim So Wol was born on August 6, 1902 in North Kwaksan. In December of 1934 at age 32, he is assumed to have committed suicide, which some attribute to his father’s mental illness. Kim So Wol’s grandfather played a large role in his education. When he was younger, his grandfather taught him classical Chinese. At age 15 So Wol was entered into Osan Middle School. There he met Kim Eok, who became So Wol’s mentor for years to come.  One interesting fact is that Kim So Wol’s real name is actually Kim  Jeong Shik.

In 1923 So Wol went Japan, apparently to study, but returned to Seoul within the year. For two years he worked hard to build his career in literature, appearing in newspapers every now and again. Supposedly the quality of his work worsened over the years, and So Wol resorted to drinking. Most of his poetry was created before he was 25 years old.

Kim So Wol  was a classical poet. His poetry resembles a traditional folk song style. The poem “Azalea flower” is meant to sound like a traditional Korean song titled “Arirang”.  The song is renowned in Korea, and often considered to be the unofficial anthem. According to Korea.net, “Arirang” is, “A tragic song of separation and lost love, Arirang is a national symbol not only of Korea’s distant past, but also its turbulent modern history. It served as a symbol of Korea’s struggle for independence under Japan, and its relevance has remained throughout decades of division and fraternal hostilities.”

An interesting part to address is the first line of the second stanza, “From Mount Yak in Yongbyun.”  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the geography of Korea, Yongbyun is a famous city in North Korea. The poem implies that the area is beautiful and blooming with Azalea flowers, but it is unfortunate to note that the state of the mountain is not longer as pretty as what can be imagined through this poem.

His poetry is romantic, yet depressing. This poem specifically is believed to have been a symbol for his connection to his beloved home that was lost. Azaleas are a fairly popular Korean flower, which also builds on the idea that it represented his homeland. On the surface it appears that the poem is about a relationship ending. My interpretation is that the So Wol is the speaker, sending off a girl he loved who broke his heart. He spreads the beautiful flowers to send her off, which to me comes off as a symbol of love, but also sorrow. He knows she is going to leave, and he makes an effort to send her off beautifully, without malice, even though it clearly hurts him. The poem opens and closes with the phrase “When you go, sick of seeing me…”, which is why my interpretation of the poem is about a broken relationship. This line implies that the female, if the poem is about a relationship, is believed by the speaker to have grown tired of him. Although the connection is no longer there, the speaker has an apparent respect for the woman. The diction used does not indicate that the speaker is hateful or disrespectful towards the woman. Instead, the actions and diction are sorrowful, yet gentle.

I hope you guys enjoyed learning a very brief lesson about my all-time favorite Korean poem! Please let me know what you think about any part of this post in the comments. I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts, interpretations, and feedback!

Thank you! 감사합니다! (kam-sa-hab-ni-da)

Citations:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5370348.Kim_Sowol

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/39559

http://aminoapps.com/page/korean-language/2169801/jindalraeggoc-azaleas-korean-poem

http://www.korea.net/NewsFocus/Culture/view?articleId=99813

7 thoughts on “Korean Poetry! 한국 시”

1. Hi Cali! I was really excited to read your piece on Korean poetry. I think it is so interesting that the translation into English can come out as beautiful as it does. I think it also very interesting that this poem was about Azaleas because that is a universal concept that people around the world can relate to. I cannot wait to read more of your passion posts!

2. This is pretty interesting since I’ve learned about some Chinese and Japanese literature before but never Korean poetry. I’d be interested in seeing “Arirang” and how it became the unofficial anthem of South Korea.

1. As a haiku poet and having served 13 months in Korea I love the country it’s people and now I’m studying Korean poetry the Sijo is very much loved by me I look forward to following you any replies I would appreciate and love happinessnow4u@ yahoo.com I served as a correspondent in Korea put the United States Army a beautiful translation I loved azaleas

3. Nice start on your blog. As a literature professor who loves Korean poetry, I’m happy to see appreciation for it on English- speaking blogs. However, please change the word “infamous” to “famous” in your description of “Arirang.” The word “infamous” means “famous for a bad reason, or famous for being bad.” It is a negative word. *Arirang* is revered and very loved, as you correctly state, so “infamous” is wrong.
    I look forward to seeing what other poems and poets you’re going to include in the future.

4. Thank you. My wife and I are in a calligraphy class. I was looking for a goal for the end of the year and remembered your page. When I reread the poem, however, I was discouraged at its sadness. Maybe I look at Arirang, too. Peace.

1. Hi! Thank you for your comment, and I am very appreciative that you thought about my blog as a possible source of inspiration for your project!

I would urge you to not be discouraged by the outward sadness inflicted in this poem; rather, to see the sadness as a source of its beauty. I am not very well versed with poetry, I just have a deep connection and relation to this poem because it was taught to me at a young age and continues to be a motivation for me to learn Korean. I find that this poem is enticing because the speaker is sad, yes, but the sadness to me is a source of empowerment because of the way it is used. The speaker is losing someone they love, and instead of harnessing hatred, disrespect, and ill-will, the speaker is garnishing a path for his lost love to walk peacefully away, even though it is admittedly heartbreaking. Azaleas, flowers that represent softness, femininity, and civility, are laid gracefully in the midst of all of these overwhelming sad emotions. What I see in this is the beauty and power of true love. What I see is the acknowledgement of a grave loss represented in a passionate and peaceful manner. The maturity of the speaker’s words and actions are admirable, and I remember this poem in times when I experience loss or am feeling unforgiving. All of this is merely my interpretation, but I hope that it again inspires you and your wife to consider more about this poem! If it does, I encourage you to learn more about Kim So Wol, the poet. His life was very tragic, and little is known about him, but I think understanding his life might also cultivate something within you to seek a new understanding of this piece.

Good luck with your calligraphy class!—I am envious!

5. 안녕하습니까? I too have fallen in love with the Korean culture. It’s poetry is so beautiful and heartwarming. Please continue this blog, for I long to know more about 한국어 시. 고맙습니다.