Capsula–Wha?

Image result for recycling

www.pachamama.org/blog/is-recycling-enough-the-cradle-to-cradle-approach-to-our-cradle-to-grave-economy

Hi Friends!

I believe this topic is really interesting, so I want to jump right in!

What does it mean to be eco-friendly even? Does it mean I recycle every now and again, or that I support wildlife? Well, Google will tells me it means, “not harmful to the environment. (1)” So it’s a broad category, which is great because I certainly have a lot to talk about! I don’t want to appear as a radical “tree hugger,” but as many times as recycling has been drilled into people’s mind, you think it would be easy to do! But there are so many ways to help the environment, big and small. It’s not just about recycling or composting. There are a multitude of options out there that I’m sure many of us have never heard of, and it is my goal to share some unique creations out there! Whether or not any of these are accessible is one thing, but knowledge itself is important. In the famous words of Warren Buffett, “Risk comes from not knowing what you’re doing. (2)” So let’s start with some discoveries I made!

(1) http://www.dictionary.com/browse/eco-friendly

(2) https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/warren_buffett_138173?src=t_knowledge

Overview: I found a video on Facebook the other day (yes, I still use Facebook) and it amazed me. Actually, I found a few videos pertaining to being more environmentally friendly. The first one, maybe a little obscure, amazed me at how innovative the idea was. After some research, I found out the product is called “Capsula Mundi. (1)” What the heck, right? As weird as it sounds, it’s actually genius. Usually when you think of, sadly, death you might not imagine the ways it can be damaging to the environment. And no, myself nor anyone else is saying “don’t die, save the planet,” but this is just one small alteration we can look into that is a unique and positive, and NOT invasive or an offensive option. How does it work though? According to an article on Buzzworthy, “… the deceased’s body [is encapsulated] in a pod that eventually grows into a tree. (1)” Isn’t that kinda beautiful? Imagine your body being a natural tool to help grow a beautiful tree! Even better, YOU can choose the seed for whatever tree you’d like, and your loved ones can take care of the tree! Also, it is made of 100% biodegradable starch plastic, and you plant the pod just like a seed, except it’s the size of a body in fetal position (1). It’s actually such a pure and environmentally safe idea. Instead of traditional cemeteries, the Capsula Mundi pods can create a “memory forrest! (1)”

Capsula Mundi coffins and urns

I haven’t even gotten into where this product came from yet. The idea grew between two Italian folks, Anne Citelli and Raoul Bretzel. Their reason for how the project came about is interesting. They saw that death was a taboo topic in our world, and they wanted want explore how to connect death to nature, since they don’t consider it an end (2). Although the company is still fairly new, their work is used in various countries. It originated in Italy, but only the urns are allowed. The last sentence on the page is really impactful. It reads, “…our team has been working to raise awareness and to promote the idea, fully convinced that before changing laws, we need to challenge the way people think. (2)”

(1) https://www.buzzworthy.com/coffins-eco-friendly-burial-pods/

(2) http://www.capsulamundi.it/en/project/

Pros: What could some of the benefits be? I think I already mentioned some above, but it would completely revamp our idea of a cemetary. Instead of cutting down trees to build coffins, the pod allows your body to be regrown into nature. Your body can be used as a nutrient to provide life, growing more trees, thus producing more oxygen. It is a wholesome way to bury a loved one, and it also allows them to be close to you. You can plant them in your backyard, or anywhere you find sentimental. In the long run I think if a vast majority of countries accept this mention and practice it it can offer a variety of ecological benefits. I want a family with baby squirrels living it my tree, that’s all I know.

Cons: For starters, I don’t know how much they cost. If the pods or urns are ridiculously expensive, who is gonna buy them? Also, it may actually be offensive to some, I don’t know who for example, but some. They might prefer a “proper burial” because they want them or their loved ones to be buried next to one another. It could also be part of a religious custom to be buried by a church. I know the church my friend is buried at is one his family attends, so it seems fitting to have a grave there. Also, a possible downfall is where we are gonna put the trees. We can’t just plop them anywhere. And the tree that is picked has to be placed in an environment that is fitting for it as well.

I am going to include a video, it’s not the original one I saw, but it’s pretty rad! It is specifically about the urns.

There is still much to discover about the Capsula Mundi project. Like the website says, making people aware is the first step. I hope this urges you to explore this project, and maybe find interesting inventions of your own. I have the next topic already picked out! I can’t wait to share it with you!

Until next time!

Ciao!

Image result for recycling

http://www.leegov.com/solidwaste/residential/recycling

One thought on “Capsula–Wha?