A New Reality

Virtual and augmented reality are two terms that have recently become very popular, even among the general population which is not as involved in less popular technology. This has been the result of multiple successful and groundbreaking implementations of forms of extended reality (XR), which includes VR and AR. However, many who have heard about them still do not fully understand how useful they are predicted to be in the future. First, though, let me introduce the two topics.

Virtual reality is the most popular form of extended reality. It creates a simulated environment, generally using a head-mounted display, and attempts to make it feel as realistic and immersive as possible. The simulated environment can be anything that can be created on a computer, varying from recreations of our world to ones very different.

Someone using a VR headset for gaming

This has allowed anybody to experience things that could be difficult or dangerous to do in real life. So far, the biggest use of these devices has been in the entertainment industry, including for video games which have seen the rise of consoles such as the very popular Oculus Rift being used in a variety of games and simulators, and media consumption platforms which have begun to see some 360-degree video being created for watching in VR.

Augmented reality creates an enhanced version of the physical world by adding simulated elements to your environment. The most popular example of this has been the mobile video game “Pokémon GO” which took over the phones of millions in 2016. The idea of smart eyewear, such as the Google Glass, is another example of AR which has been around for years, but it has never become a useful product. Recently, online shopping websites have begun to implement AR features that allow users to virtually place items into their own rooms and envision what they might look like.

Pokémon GO using augmented reality

The future of extended reality products is still unclear as the industry is still in its infancy, but it is developing rapidly. While the direction that these products may go may vary, some popular ideas predict what could be done with them.

VR has continued to become more realistic and add sensors and elements to allow for more to be done in the virtual environment. This means that training for many activities, including things from racing to war, can be done safely and effectively using VR. It is also becoming possible to replace humans in dangerous working environments with robots controlled by people in VR. Other predictions suggest that the ability to virtually experience the same things as everyone else could help eliminate issues of bias and inequality.

Augmented reality has been historically been less successful than virtual reality, however, the future could change that. The biggest milestone for augmented reality would be the creation of AR contact lenses, a step above the AR glasses I mentioned above. These could combine nearly all of the benefits of AR into a single, discrete device, allowing you to see information you may normally see on a mobile device, use it as a place for speaking notes, improve sight in low light conditions, or even change the way certain aspects of your life look.

The possibilities for these products are nearly endless. There are currently still many flaws in both, but these will hopefully be worked out over time. Issues with personal rights will also undoubtedly arise with such powerful technology in the palm of our hands, but that bridge will be crossed when humanity gets to it. As for now, all forms of extended reality are rapidly advancing, shrinking in size, increasing in power, and adding onto their feature sets. Whatever happens in the long-term development of extended reality products, the ability to create new worlds at the touch of a button is bound to change the real world drastically.

3 Comments

1. Hi Taylor! This post was really interesting, especially because, like many others, my knowledge of VR and AR extends about as far as pokemon go. I was particularly fascinated by the idea of AR glasses/contacts, it’s crazy to think that the technology to change how we actually see the world is already here. You mentioned a lot of benefits about these technologies, and one of them was the ability to keep humans out of dangerous situations. How far do you think we should take these possibilites? Do we remove people from war? I’d be interested to learn more about that and also some of the concerns that come with it.

Reply

2. I find this subject really fascinating! Last semester, I did some research on how certain virtual reality programs have helped veterans with PTSD as well as people with disorders such as OCD to overcome their symptoms. The programs these people used simulated traumatic or scary experiences that they lived through or have a phobia of, and they were able to work through their conditions without actually being exposed to potentially harmful environments. It’s insane how much this field has developed just in the past decade, and how it can be used for such a wide range of things. From psychological help to kids toys, VR is definitely a huge technological advancement. I know my younger brother has an Oculus, and I have used it before. The games range from fun and easy to dark and intimidating, which is really cool. I’m excited to read more on your blog, and if you’re interested I would definitely recommend looking into the uses of VR in psychological treatment!

Reply

3. I really like how your topics so far have been about emerging/new forms of technology that we are still learning about. I used to volunteer at a library next to where I live where we held VR and AR days where kids could come in and play video games using VR and AR headsets. I think it’s really interesting to think about the progression of video games from how it started as an alternate universe being presented in front of us on a screen to world that people can fully immerse themselves them in now using VR and AR technology. I like that you gave relevant examples such as the Pokemon Go example to show people that AR is a form of technology that most of us have already experienced using or have at least heard of.

Reply