Spotlight on Kenny Chesney

With over 30 Top Ten singles, 15 albums, four Entertainer of the Year awards, and several other awards from the Academy of Country Music Association, Kenny Chesney has proven to be one of the greatest country artists of our generation. The man can rock! He’s widely adored by the country fandom and definitely deserves his own spotlight in this week’s recommendation.

Although I have always felt that country artists are very unique, something about Kenny Chesney especially stands out to me. I think it may be that the themes of his music encompass everything I love about the genre. Some of my favorite songs by him I actually was not a huge fan of at first, but it is the words and lessons they contain which gradually made me fall in love. His voice and style is also very different from that of other artists. I know a large majority of his music, but when the occasional new song is heard I can immediately recognize Kenny’s voice. Kenny Chesney has become one of, if not, my favorite country artists!

1

His music makes me happy to be alive and young and really embodies some of the greatest joys in life. Here’s a compilation of some Kenny Chesney you’d be a fool to miss out on:

“The Good Stuff”
This song takes you through a man’s experience at a bar after he’s had a fight with his wife. He asks the bartender for “the good stuff” but the bartender explains that they don’t serve that there and proceeds to explain what the real “good stuff” is.
“It’s the first long kiss on a second date, Momma’s all worried when you get home late, and droppin’ the ring in the spaghetti plate, ’cause your hands are shakin’ so much. And it’s the way that she looks with the rice in her hair, eatin’ burnt suppers the whole first year, and askin’ for seconds to keep her from tearin’ up. Yeah, man, that’s the good stuff.”

“Keg In The Closet”
The perfect college song. I heard this song for the first time this past summer before college and I was later surprised at how well it captures the spirit of a college campus.
“This old guitar taught me how to score right there on the Lambda Chi porch. Mary Ann taught me a little more ’bout wantin’ what you can’t have. Sweatshirts and flag football, spring breaks down in Panama, for a while we had it all – we never dreamed it wouldn’t last. We went to class just to pass the time, back in eighty nine”

1“Never Wanted Nothing More”
LOVE this song. It takes you (quickly) through the life of a teenage boy to a grown man and how the things he “never wanted nothing more” change as he grows. From “driving the boys around” to getting married, you see the boy become a man through what he values most.

“Pirate Flag”
One of Kenny’s more well-known songs, you’ve probably heard it on the radio if you ever listen to country. This song is just more of a fun one, no real lesson, but definitely has the famous Kenny Chesney vibe.

“Young”
As you can probably guess from the title, this song talks about the joys of being young. It’s told somewhat retrospectively, but it’s very easy to appreciate as someone in the middle of it all. He captures the essence of youth really well, and this is a staple in my country playlist.
“Man I don’t know, where the time goes but It sure goes fast, just like that. We were wanna be rebels who didn’t have a clue, with our Rock n’ roll T-shirts, and our typically bad attitudes. Had no excuses for the things that we’d done – we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young”

Those are my absolute favorite Kenny Chesney songs but just for good measure:
“I Go Back”
“Me and You”
“No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem” — (good vacation song)
“She’s Got It All” — (very, very catchy)
“When the Sun Goes Down”

Give these songs a listen, and I’m confident you’ll be as much of a Kenny fan as I am! I have another artist in mind for next week, but let me know if there’s anyone in particular you feel I should spotlight!

Keep rocking xx

3 thoughts on “Spotlight on Kenny Chesney

1. Kenny Chesney is my man! He is one of the first country artists I started listening to wayyyy back in middle school and ever since then I’ve loved country music. His style is nice and laid back and all of his songs do have a good story and lesson to them. One of my favorites from him is Summertime, it always puts me in a good mood and no matter where I am I always find myself singing along at the top of my lungs. He is on my long list of country singers to see live and I hope that one day I will be able to make it happen. Can’t wait to see who you write about next week!

2. She’s Got It All and Good Stuff are two of my all time favorite songs. All of his songs are so popular and really catchy that it is hard not to immediately love them!! I will now have to make a separate radio just for She’s Got It All on Pandora. Anyway, can’t wait to see what you write about next week. I would love to hear more about another one of your favorite artists. It is kinda cool to get a little more bio history and such as well! Great post!!

3. I want to start off by saying that I absolutely love your style of writing. It’s very similar to the way I wish I could write (I wish I could say “how I do write”, but I have no shame in admitting I am a terrible writer). My best friend is a huge Kenny Chesney fan, and some of my favorite memories are driving down the highway in the summer heat, windows down heading to the beach blasting Kenny Chesney through the car. When I listen to any type of country music, I get that same notion you talked about when you listen to Kenny Chesney, that thrill of being young and alive. And the reason I feel like I constantly listen to it on the way to the beach, or with the windows down on the highway blasting it in the car with my friends is because those to me are the greatest thrills that come with being young, that sense of freedom of being able to drive and that feeling of escape to a place of relaxation. Honestly, even though I can relate to your posts throughout all times of the year, I feel myself being drawn to the notion of country music because I miss those summer days and the feeling of being young that comes with them. Love these posts though and can’t wait to read about what country artists you choose next week!