Flying-Changes in Farriers and Feet?

Though the actual origin of the horseshoe is unknown, the practice of protecting and enhancing the horse’s feet has been around since they were first domesticated by mankind.      Beginning in ancient Asia, horsemen began to see the impact of removing the horses from their habitat. Generally in the wild, a horse grazes in soft, natural terrain- only running when it became necessary.  However, once taken in by people, much more stress was placed on the feet of these animals, for the work expected of them far exceeded their former wild lives.  To remedy the issue of increased lameness, horsemen of ancient Asia began to cover the horses’ hooves with leather “booties,” which aided in preventing further injury or degradation. hipposandalThis concept was further developed by the Ancient Romans, who covered the hooves with leather and metal “hipposandals,”which fastened over the hooves, much like that of a human sandal. This was necessary to compensate for the increasing abrasiveness of the paved roads.  hipposandal2The horses were exceedingly valuable to Roman society, which in turn meant long hours on the hot, dry roads, resulting in brittle, weak, and cracking hooves.  In more northern regions of Europe, it was the opposite climate that still gave way to soundness issues, for the cold, wet climate led to overly-softened hooves.

Though the strict invention of the modern horseshoe is not known, the development continued on to a bronze, lightweight shoe with a scalloped appearance. scallop It was fastened to the bottom of the hoof through the use of six nails.  The idea quickly spread – the process being refined the more it became known to horsemen.  The use of six nails was increased to  eight to accommodate for the heavier (due to the iron composition), non-scalloped version closer to that of which we see today.

Now that the more modern form had been developed, its widespread use began to ensue. Around about the 13th or 14th moderncentury, mass production of ready-made horseshoes began.  The shoes had a larger, wider shape to accommodate for larger horses.  The production boomed all throughout the Industrial Revolution and the mid-19th and 20th centuries, but this slowed with the invention of automobiles.  Now, the process continues.  The difference is the fact that there are now horseshoes crafted not only to fit the specific horse, but the intended use of that horse.  Whether it be hauling, racing, or casual riding, there is a shoe that fits.

Though the purpose of the horseshoe was to take care of the horses by providing them with superficial strength, a new movement has come about that suggests that perhaps we are indeed doing the opposite.  This “Au Natural” barefoot movement stands on the basis barefootthat a horse is genetically adapted for impact, and if allowed, will one day be able to be strong enough without the aid of these metal counterparts.  By simply removing the shoes, the horses will be too weak to handle the force; however, if the process is gradual, the idea is that they will far surpass the strength of the shoes themselves.  Still, the actual outcome is unknown, leading to a fast array of opinions with no solidified solution.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Flying-Changes in Farriers and Feet?

1. dilioptim says:

Aw, this was a very nice post. In concept I want to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and in no way seem to get one thing done.

2. Sara Swann says:

A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague
    who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast as a result
    of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for
    the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading
    more on this topic. If attainable, as you develop into expertise,
    would you mind updating your blog with more details?
    It’s extremely useful for me. Big thumb up for this blog
    put up!

my site :: Sara Swann

3. I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll.
    I think it will improve the value of my website 🙂

4. Burt Staniar says:

This is an interesting topic, although I think that there is likely no easy answer for this controversy! I have shoes on my horse for half of the year and then take them off for the other half, and have found that this alternating seems to help keep his feet very healthy. I take his shoes off during the winter, and admittedly ride much less during this time of year.

What about some of the new strap-on shoes? Some of those are beginning to look quite advanced!