Breaking Their Will to Fight, Not Their Will

Most people hear the term “breaking” in reference to horse training and immediately jump to the conclusion that it is cruel or hostile.  This simply is not the case.  Breaking refers to the the tactics utilized in order to evoke submission from one’s horse.  Submission can come in two forms, however – submission from fear, or from respect.  horse_4The submission from fear is what gives breaking such a negative connotation; but, a horse broken from fear is not an enjoyable horse to have – for this fear permeates ever aspect of the horses relationship to its owner.  Certainly, the horse will obey, but it will live in constant terror. This is the kind of training that is frowned upon.

To most horse owners, breaking out of fear is crude and outdated.  Because we know so much more about horses now, we can teach them to submit out of respect.  This respect, like the fear, will seep into all aspects of the relationship, not simply just riding.  Bertrand-Cauchy-the-horse-001Thus, no matter what one is doing with the horse, the animal will respect and trust him or her without question.

This video displays a group working on breaking a set of young horses.  As you can see, they work with the ropes at a distance, allowing the animal to get the hang of the rope before they associate it with the trainer.  When the horses fight it out, eventually they begin to relax.  At this point, the trainer is allowed to approach the animal, offering a release of tension on the rope.  The release of tension is associated with the approach of the trainer, indicating to the horse that the trainer is in a sense rescuing them from the discomfort – a big step in developing trust.  When the horse is settled enough with this, the saddle is put in place.

woman-and-red-saddle-pad

The fact that someone can get a saddle on the horse does not indicate that they should just jump right on and ride it.  Rather, the horse is allowed to run in a circle, getting used to the feel of the equipment.  Breaking a horse cannot be a rushed process, for hastiness will usually result in fearful submission.  The animal cannot take everything we throw at it all at once.  However, small steps at introducing the expected concepts will show the animal that it does not need to fear the process.  The key is to develop trust in each step.  Only then will the horse respect you and only then will you see it fully broken in and ready for riding.

Here’s a good summary of the steps to breaking your horse!

Breaking does not have to be brutal.  The technique can be constantly modified in order to evoke the proper response without the pain or fear of either party.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Breaking Their Will to Fight, Not Their Will

1. Alicia Alvarado says:

I found your post by searching in google. The best people’s nature is to take time before they plan or write anything, this is a better way to express anything properly. And I have enjoyed reading it ….
    Apparel Forest USA

2. Alicia Alvarado says:

The best people nature is to take time before they plan or write anything, this is a better way to express anything properly.
    Your Content writing is best in the few content writers, very very appreciateable.
    Apparel Forest USA

3. Alicia Alvarado says:

The best people nature is to take time before they plan or write anything, this is a better way to express anything properly. And this is what i have found in your post.
    Apparel Forest USA

4. Alicia Alvarado says:

I found your post by searching in google, and I have enjoyed reading it ….
    Apparel Forest USA

5. Paula Deen says:

Only the real writer can write such an amazing post, it helped me, it was easier for me to learn new things …
    Tote Bag Mart

6. Paula Moss says:

Your post deserve to be pronounce, impressive. I had no trouble reading through the content. The good thing is I have learned some new today! Cheers…
    interested in wholesale bathrobes click here to visit

7. Marco Harrison says:

Thanks for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. hotel frankfurt-oder

8. geeky says:

Hello! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my
    new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to
    all your posts! Keep up the superb work!

9. Perhaps more importantly to the gaming industry, it shows FB is
    a strong believer in the long-term viability of the sector, and a
    signal that physical hardware and console gaming still has some considerable life left in it.
    Your objective is to build a village and to also build an army.
    That said, sifting through New Moon as the film’s release draws nearer (less than 100 days, now) has been an enlightening
    discussion.

my site: Clash of clans gemmes