Writing a Book: Things Get Saucy

Okay, so before I get to the title of this post, I want to just give a quick update of the progress (if you could call it that) that I have made since last week. Thankfully, I had about an hour to write this past week, and actually put some words down on the page, 233 to be exact. In those words is where things get “saucy,” and will continue to marinate for a few paragraphs, pages, whatever. However, I am more excited about the directional progress I have made. I decided to continue along the vein of John and Angela’s budding relationship. While I have not even reached John and Angela leaving the office after he asked her out, I now know what direction I am going to take the remainder of this chapter in. After detailing the end of John’s day at the office, I will follow him home, and detail his preparation for his date. The thing that will be interesting about this part of the book is that it is one of the only things that John does not have a routine for. So, I think it will be interesting to show this new, non-meticulous side of him. Every other detailed account of his life has been fit into a mold of how he does things – getting ready in the morning, cooking breakfast, at the office, and as we will see later, how he kills his victims. However, because he has never gone out on a serious date before, this is a whole new realm, and I think I will explore how this inability to control his actions shakes him emotionally. Then, we will “join” Angela and John on their date, and see their love start to bloom. Now, that is all the tomatoes being simmered to a saucy goodness; what comes next is all the things that make the sauce extra saucy.

The part of Chapter Four that I actually wrote this past week talks about Mayor Stanley Jacoby, and the struggle he had in his recent reelection. Eight months before the election, news broke that Jacoby had an affair, and his opponent, Herschell Gallagher, jumped at the opportunity to slander Jacoby. Through incredibly crafty wording of speeches, and an unbelievable increase in public events, Jacoby was able to win back the hearts of Atlanta’s people, and get reelected, leaving Gallagher fuming. So, this side of the story gives me an avenue that I could stride down later in the book if I so choose, and maybe I could interweave more characters into this already complex story.

My next big goal for Perspectives, other than finishing the fourth chapter (however that ends up happening), is to concoct the next murder scene, this time, from the point of view of the killer. Two of the hardest things about doing this will be the actual creative way in which the killer does his deed (his mark, how he kills, etc.), along with choosing the right words and stooping down to the dark level necessary to write with the detail I want. It may be a little hard at first, but hey, I watch enough daytime television to know what a good murder scene looks like. Anyway, that is what I have been up to. Hope to share some more physical progress next week.

2 thoughts on “Writing a Book: Things Get Saucy

1. Emma Bell Schwendeman

I loved the title of this post. Definitely had me hooked with the title because I wanted to learn more. Already I can tell from that title that this book is going places. Glad to hear you are finally getting back into the writing atmosphere. In the brief description in this post, I like that you are giving your main character a vulnerable side. What led you to do so? Is it going to play into his role? Will it end his career? For me, I find these “superhero” stereotypes to be unrealistic typically. The best hero or leading man types are the ones that are flawed. Maybe it is only because I am getting snippets, but i think you should focus in more on the kryptonite that John might have. It could potentially add to an uncalled for and great ending. Just a suggestion to work on. Next week’s blog already sounds great with a new murder scene. It makes me think of Law and Order-esqe scenarios; keep pushing the limits with your book!

2. Makenzie A Coduti

Your book sounds wonderful so far! I’m excited to read some of it soon and I’m sure it’ll be just as good as what you have outlined. On another note, the slandering of Jacoby reminded me inexplicably of Andrew Jackson, for no good reason. In the election of 1828 Andrew Jackson’s opponents slandered his wife, they called her a common whore and a bigamist. They also called Andrew Jackson an adulterer. It was a terribly torrid and dirty affair. Anyways, I am excited to hear more progress on your book! Maybe you should think about another platform to continue your book on, i.e. another blog.