Are you interested in computer science major?

Today, I will be talking about the computer science major, one of the most popular majors in universities. According to the statistics, since 2013, computer science has climbed the rank and passed chemistry, engineering, marine biology to become one of the most popular STEM majors. “In 2016, computer science climbed to 4th most popular STEM majors for college-bound students” (Katie Hendrickson). Why is the computer science major so popular? What motivates thousands of students to choose this major every year? 

The answer is the fast-growing interest. The ACT surveys high school students on career and college major interests every year. The data results are released as an annual condition of the STEM report. Based on the reports, computer science has the fastest-growing interest among five categories of STEM majors (Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Technology). It increases at two to three times the interest rate compared to the other four categories each year. It explained why every year, many college students want to have a try in a computer science major. 

What is computer science studying about? What courses are required for computer science students? What skills do they need to learn? Is it a challenging major to study for?

Students who are interested in going into computer science will be concerned about the above questions. Since I have never studied computer science, I tried to answer these questions by researching online and asking my friends who are computer science majors. 

“Computer science is the study of computers and computing as well as their theoretical and practical applications” (Geneva G. Belford). In other words, computer science majors are to train students to be familiar with computers and study how to control computers with both hardware and software. Though students can choose which area they want to dive deeper into, they have to study both at the beginning of the study. The words from my friend are, “ studying computer science is like studying a new language. By taking the courses and getting the skills, you will know how to communicate with computers finally in a unique way.”

I checked the PSU website about the computer science major. In addition to taking computer courses, I found out that computer science students have to take physics courses, some high-level math courses, and statistics courses. The skills that are important for a computer science major include analytical skills, problem-solving skills, creativity, critical-thinking skills, and resilience. 

Though many people are taking computer science majors, the graduation rate is low compared to the other majors. Is the major itself too difficult? From what I learned, it depends on different people. There is an example of my friend, who is a very introverted person. He did not want to get a job focusing on communication skills, so he chose to do computer science. And he loved this major, and he loved the job he got after he graduated. I‘m not assuming that all introverted people can do computer science. But I recommend that if you are interested in a computer science major, you could consider if this major matches your pursuing future lifestyle. Do you enjoy spending hours and hours every day dealing with codes?

Work Cited

“Computer Science climbs to 4th most popular STEM major for college-bound students”, Katie Hendrickson, https://codeorg.medium.com/computer-science-climbs-to-4th-most-popular-stem-major-for-college-bound-students-773ce681b96c#:~:text=Responses-,Computer%20Science%20climbs%20to%204th%20most,major%20for%20college%2Dbound%20students&text=In%202013%2C%20Computer%20Science%20was,2016%2C%20it%20was%20the%204th, Jan 8, 2019.

Belford, Geneva G., and Tucker, Allen. “Computer science.” Encyclopedia Britannica, 1 Sep. 2020, https://www.britannica.com/science/computer-science. Accessed 1 April 2021.

One thought on “Are you interested in computer science major?

1. I thought this was interesting because although I don’t know much about computer science myself, my boyfriend is a computer science major and I know some of the bare basics from him. The major can be difficult at times and includes a lot of math courses, but it’s an especially good study for those who like to problem solve and learn computer language. As for me, I like to do work with people to problem solve, so I am more focused on a career in the medical field!