Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson

See the source image

(Björnsson on the set of Game Of Thrones as Gregor Clegane AKA: “The Mountain”)

Dimensions

Height: 6ft 9in

Weight: 440lb (competition weight)

Notable Lifts

Biography

Though he is mostly known for his role in the hit T.V. show Game Of Thrones as “The Mountain”, he is more concerned with his life as a professional strongman. This mythical man, who stands at a staggering six-foot-nine-inches tall and weighs in at well over four hundred pounds, and whos name translates to “Ocean God” is certainly the stuff of legends. Today, we will dive into the world of Iceland’s very own Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson.

Image result for hafthor bjornsson basketball

(Hafthor In 2004)

Born in Reykjavík on November 26th 1988, this Icelandic superstar had started off his Athletic career in 2004 as a Basketball player for Iceland’s Division I team, Breiðablik. He transferred to Premier League in 2006, helping to promote his team to the Premier League but his career was cut short in 2008 due to a recurrent ankle injury. He subsequently began his strongman career.

Image result for hafthor bjornsson iceland's strongest man

(Björnsson carrying the Husafell Stone at Iceland’s strongest man, 2011)

I didn’t take long before Björnsson found success. After only a few years of training, the mountain had won the title of Iceland’s strongest man in 2011, and has kept that title ever since. Since then, Björnsson has only added hundreds of trophies, medals, and world records to his expanding resumé. His most successful year in the sport came in 2018, when he became the first person to have won the Arnold Strongman Classic, Europe’s Strongest Man and World’s Strongest Man in the same calendar year.

Image result for hafthor wsm

(Björnsson triumphantly lifting his first WSM trophy over his head, 2018)

“Iceland is full of strong men, its in our genes. We’re all Vikings after all. But a man like Hafþór comes once in a thousand years and his legacy will long after he is gone, he’s close to not only be the strongest man in Iceland’s history, but the worlds.”.  Words like these are well respected when they come from fellow Viking and four time worlds strongest man, Magnús Ver Magnusson. Magnusson had taken the mountain under his wing early in his career after seeing him compete. Magnusson now trains The Mountain in same gym that he himself once trained in and now looks after, the same gym that was once owned by Iceland’s first strongman super star, Jón Páll Sigmarsson, who also boasts four world strongest man titles.

Image result for hafthor bjornsson wife

(Hafþór and his wife, Kelsey Henson, at the 2019 premiere of Game Of Thrones)

Outside the world of strongman, Hafþór has conquered many other milestones and challenges in his life. Hafþór is the embodiment of what it means to be a strong man, not just the physical aspect but also the strong will. In 2017, the day before Europe’s strongest man, The Mountain had been rushed to the hospital and diagnosed with Bells Palsy, a very rare condition in which the muscles on one side of ones face becomes weak or paralyzed. It didn’t slow him down however, as the next day he competed at Europe’s Strongest man, and won. The next year, Hafþór married his long time girlfriend, Kelsey Henson, and the two of them are raising a daughter together. When asked what motivates him in the gym, Hafþór had this to say: “I just want to make my family proud, they mean the world to me.”. We can expect great things from Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, His golden years of lifting are still ahead of him, where he will try to earn more world strongest man titles and break more records to try and solidify himself as the strongest man to have ever walked on this earth.

Extra Videos

Hafþór has teamed up with Sodastream to raise awareness of the harm plastic bottles have on the environment.

Hafþór also started his own brand of Vodka

5 thoughts on “Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson

1. I though this post was super interesting. The passion and time commitment to this craft is immense and very admirable! My favorite part about the blog was how the quote about how Icelandic men are naturally strong. What stood out to me about that quote is how yes, genes have a lot to do with strength and how much power we naturally have, but, it takes the extra mile of hard work and effort to obtain this superhuman level of strength and dedication. Also, I can’t believe “the Mountain” has been diagnosed Bells Palsy and still continued to compete. Talk about motivation and ability overcome adversity. Really nice job!

2. I am not a huge Game of Thrones fan, so I have never heard of Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson. He is quite an interesting man, and I am happy I read this profile on him. I thought it was neat how you talked about both physical strength and mental toughness. Great job writing this!