Tangier: A Coastal Paradise

Tangier Coat-Of-Arms – Wikipedia

When you think of desert heat with people wearing turbans and long clothes, you might think of famous scenes from movies such as the colorful streets in Disney’s Alladin. However, this shows nothing in comparison to the vast and vibrant cultures in the Middle East, particularly that of the colorful Morocco in North Africa. What initially drew my attention to this area is the traditional Arabic culture engrained in the country, along with various documentaries I have seen on the country’s culture. At the very northernmost region of Morocco lies Tangier, a bustling coastal city spanning for miles separating Europe from Africa.

Map of Tangier in Morocco – Britannica Kids

Morocco as a whole is particularly popular for its delicious cuisine, bustling markets and bazaars, whimsical riads, and monumental mosques; more specifically, Tangier hosts all these fabulous aspects and more! Researching the beautiful “riad” houses brought me to beautiful coastal homes with a perfect view of the Atlantic and Mediterranean surrounded by traditional Moroccan-Arabic architecture, distinctive for its Muslim influence of arches, tile, and intricate detail. These homes mix Mediterranean blues and whites with delicately placed arches and stonework; the countless whitewashed homes along the coast add to the city’s lively atmosphere.

Unfortunately, Tangier’s history is not as beautiful as the views; 1912 marked the beginning of France’s, and Spain’s, colonization, and ultimate brutality of the people of Morocco. France abused the people under unfair taxation in hopes for dominance over the people. Two wars over independence, the Zaian War and Riffian War, brought attention to the traditional values of Morocco, ultimately giving Moroccan Independence in 1956. Tangier was reintegrated into Morocco at this time after the separation that the colonialization caused; Morocco is currently ruled by King Mohammed VI, rumored to live a life of luxury while also figure heading Morocco’s constitutional parliamentary government.

Majorly impacted by the European settlers, Tangier’s culture is heavily French and Spanish influenced. The French language is taught in schools, universities, and used in big businesses, whereas Spanish is regularly spoken among locals; however, Moroccan Arabic is the most distinct language spoken here. Around the city, you can find a separation between a newer, French-style quarter of colonial houses and traditional Arabic homes.

Traditional Moroccan chicken tajine with olives and salted lemons – Chatelaine

While housing is interesting, food is arguably more important. The Morocco and specifically Tangier culture is famous for meat skewers, couscous, pastilla (a type of meat pie), and kefta (ground meat such as beef or lamb on skewers or as meatballs served with bread and sauces).  More popularly, a tajine meal sounds the most intriguing and fun for me, as it is a large earthenware dish filled with meat, vegetables, fruit, and sauce shared with friends and family.

While the history may be unsettling, the people of Tangier are thriving in their vibrant city, despite its prime location militarily as a port city connecting the Atlantic with the Mediterranean. I would love to visit this city and experience the local culture while listening to the vibrant music along the coast.

3 thoughts on “Tangier: A Coastal Paradise

1. I find it really interesting how you juxtapose the beauty of Tangier’s architecture and landscape with the reality of its history. Your writing is smooth and easy to understand, yet still sophisticated. Reading about the culture, especially the delicious food and music, made me want to go visit even though I had no idea this place existed until I read this!

2. I really loved and found it fascinating how you dived into Tangier’s history. It’s good to know the good and bad history of places and helps you to understand the culture more!! You always have such stimulating posts and write very well that it makes me want to visit these places!! I can’t wait to see what else you write about!

3. Before reading this, I had no idea that Tangier even existed, but now I want to know more. I loved how you were able to connect the good and the bad by describing the wide array of delicious foods but connecting it back to the colonization of the city. It seems to me that there is much more to explore, and I can’t wait to hear more!