PAS Post #1: Summer

tumblr_mm3etvvVCK1s594zyo1_400

“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar convictionthat life was beginning over again with the summer.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

In summer, the sun comes out to play. Everyone’s complexion looks healthy, almost glowing like a dim light filling a dark room. Laughing and giggling can be heard around every street corner. At the park, large groups of athletic guys gather to play games of soccer and basketball. Cars dart by with their windows down and music up. There does not seem to be a care in the world during summer. That is what makes summer most appealing to me. School is out. Fun times will begin and memories are guaranteed to be made.

I live in Lebanon, PA (which is about a half out from Hershey, PA- the chocolate capital), but my grandparents are from Philadelphia, PA. So every summer, my parents and I take a trip up and stay for about half of the season. Spending time with millions of cousins, aunts, uncles, and the two most amazing grandparents for 2 months is always unforgettable. I was always sad to leave them, but anxious to see my friends. When i was younger I would sit around and read Seventeen magazine which is currently inspiring me to make this blog filled with everything summer related. I want my readers to have fun with my blog and for it to be like a cruise away from the cold weather. One experience I am particularly excited to share with you is when I went to the beach for the first time ever when I was 17 years old and I almost died. I have told the story so many times that it is fresh in my head and I will never forget it, Looking back, I laugh, but at the time it was life or death!

I plan for my blog to be sort of a “go-to” post to get away from reality and remember that summer is around the corner. A lot of people suffer from S.A.D.- Seasonal Affective Disorder – which is mild type of depression that often occurs during the winter. Hopefully my blog will also inspire people to make bucket-lists as I share what is on mine.  A few topics I will cover over the course of a semester are:  my favorite vacation, places I wish to travel/vacation to, tasty yet quick summer drink and snack recipes, pros and cons of tanning and “how-to-do-it-right”, hairstyles and makeup tips, trending styles for guys and girls, cute date ideas and much more. My readers will experience summer by reading my blog. Stay tuned!

sun

2 Comments on PAS Post #1: Summer

1. Emily R Bickle
    09/07/2014 at 11:21 PM (10 years ago)

I’m glad summer won’t be far away this semester. I agree completely that cold weather and being confined to the indoors has an impact on people’s emotions. This seems to be a great idea to keep everyone’s spirits lifted. I can’t wait to read your blog and be reminded of my own summer days driving with the windows down, seeing friends constantly, and just feeling the general warmth that summer brings inside and out.

2. jeb5875
    09/05/2014 at 7:34 PM (10 years ago)

I like how you used the F. Scott Fitzgerald quote to grab your reader’s attention. Additionally, your use of descriptive language really made me long for the warm, restful, fun days of summer once again. It looks like you already have a plan for your blog set in place, so good luck and have fun.