PAS Post #3: Mealtime!

Summer has ended and I know Penn State is freezing already! Just because the bathing suits are back in storage, doesn’t mean the amazingly yummy snack foods and drinks have to stop. Here are a couple easy to make and quick snacks that you could make, even in your dorm, to keep summer alive!

1. Fruit salad

Fruit is one of the main food groups and as a college student, I definitely think it is difficult to eat healthy. It is so easy to walk 30 seconds away to the commons and grab ice cream or chocolate or a f’real milkshake-but it needs to stop. Fruit can be fun to eat! Try freezing a banana, it’ll change the texture and mix it up. Make fruit kabobs with your favorite fruits. My mom makes amazing dip that reminds me of summer. Throw some cream cheese and marshmallow fluff together in a bowl, mix thoroughly, and you have the BEST FRUIT DIP EVER. Also, don’t limit it to fruits, vegetables are just as important! Grab some celery, broccoli, green bell peppers, carrots and veggie dip and you have a great snack for on the go! Don’t forget to use the dip in moderation.

2. Salsa & Chips

I know for a fact that they sell chips and salsa just about everywhere. Salsa and other spicy foods are known to speed metabolism up. Also, spicy foods like salsa make you thirsty, so you will also benefit by drinking more water. Get together with friends, watch a movie and eat some salsa and chips! It’s quick and oh-so-yummy! I suggest, if you have never tried it, get the salsa con queso because it will change your life.

3. Freeze Pops

You can never go wrong with freeze pops. Literally just throw them in the freezer and eat them as you need. It’s only ice! SO fast and are perfect for study breaks. The best part is all the juice at the end of the pop! There are also 100 calorie freeze pops so you don’t have to feel guilty about eating!

4. Creamy Lemon Dip (http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2014/06/20/favorite-summer-snacks-super-healthy-kids)

My mom found this recipe over the summer and got me hooked! All you need is honey, greek yogurt, lemon juice, and lemon zest. It is a little sour and bitter, but in a good way. You can eat it with any fruit but i love it with blueberries and strawberries.The recipe is on the website above if you wish to view it!

5. Truffles

WHO DOESN’T LOVE CHOCOLATE. Truffles are a do-able treat for a college student. These are great to grab on the go and if you even slightly mention you have truffles, you could make so many friends, haha. I found that using golden oreos when making truffles is truly amazing and better than the chocolate. You can quickly look at this website as a reference to your truffle making http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Chocolate-Truffles.

We all love food, especially food that reminds us of summer. These 5 treats are my favorite snacks for summer, and are easy to eat/make in the winter. Try all this stuff when your diet starts getting boring or you start to feel the wintery symptoms of depression.

Enjoy!

1 Comment on PAS Post #3: Mealtime!

1. Luigi F Lopez
    09/28/2014 at 1:02 AM (10 years ago)

I love all of your ideas! They are so cute and really tasty i bet! The idea about the truffles is my favorite one, I love chocolate!