Earthquake Technical Information
If you arrived at this page through my iPad App – Sorry, I couldn’t afford to continue the epicentral.net site at SquareSpace.
- USGS PAGER (Prompt Assessment of Global Earthquakes for Response)
- US Geological Survey Global Earthquakes List
- US Geological Survey Earthquakes Information Home
- The LDEO Surface-Wave Detector Earthquake List
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
- West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
- International Tsunami Information Center
- Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre
- EERI – Earthquake Engineering Research institute
- Centre Sismologique Euro-Méditerranéen
- Citizen Seismology
- NOAA Dart Buoy Map/Displays
Google searches for news containing the word earthquake.
- Yahoo News Search for “earthquake”
- Google News Search for “earthquake”
- Bing News Search for “earthquake”
- Google News Search for “tsunami”
- BBC News Search for “earthquake”
- BBC News Search for “tsunami”
- CNN News Search for “earthquake”
- CNN News Search for “tsunami”
- Today in Earthquake History
Earthquake-Related Scientific Data
These are mostly for individuals working with earthquake catalog data.
- IRIS – Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology
- IRIS is the consortium that serves the waveforms used in epicentral+. You can find much useful information on this site.
- IRIS Educational Resources
- Use the checkboxes along the left side to find the type of resource you want.
- USGS Significant Earthquakes
- Links to information on most recent large and other significant earthquakes.
- USGS ShakeMap Atlas
- Intensity maps for roughly 1,000 recent and historical earthquakes.
- USGS Earthquake Search
- Construct lists of earthquakes from 1973 onward by depth, magnitude, location, etc..
- GCMT Catalog Search
- Link to the Global Centroid Moment Tensor Project (Columbia University)
- International Seismic Centre
- A more comprehensive global seismicity catalog than that of the USGS, but it takes longer to prepare, so it is not as current (differences are mostly at the smaller magnitudes).
- ISC Mirror at IRIS
- Same data as above, but another server if the original is slow.
- Seismic Station MetaData Aggregator (mda) – an IRIS site
- A site with information on many of seismic stations. Look at the realtime stations with the virtual network code _REALTIME, or use the link below.
- Seismic Station MetaData for Real-Time Stations – an IRIS site
- The list of real-time stations, which provide data with a small latency (usually). Not all these are seismic signals, some are pressure, geodetic, etc.
Information on volcanoes and volcanic activity