Better Call Saul

better calls aul

Welcome back from spring break everyone! I hope you all had time to relax and maybe catch up on a few shows. I know I did! Since I had so much time on my hands this break, as I was feeling under the weather, I decided I could commit myself to a new show. I was a huge fan of “Breaking Bad” and I had gotten so many recommendations from friends to watch the spinoff prequel to the show, “Better Call Saul”. I am glad I listened. I know what you might be thinking, “sequels and prequels are never as good as the original”. Well let me tell you, this show will defy your expectations.

saul2

First off, it is nice to be back in the same scary, dangerous world of Albuquerque, New Mexico and see some familiar faces. Not to mention that Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould are, in my opinion, television geniuses and have delicately crafted this new show. Even from episode one the cinematography blew me away. There was one scene in particular where the protagonist, James McGill and a woman (whose name at that point I didn’t know) are standing in a parking lot. There is only a little bit of light that comes in on a slant so that James and the woman’s body are in view, but her face is blocked. That is just one example of some of the beautiful camera work that I have noticed while watching the show. If I’ve learned one thing from Breaking Bad it is that the camera work is done very purposefully and there is meaning in every shot. Along with being aesthetically appealing, this show absolutely pulls you in to the story. The show is currently on its’ second season so there is only season one on Netflix, which I blew through very quickl

showtime

For those of you that have not watched Breaking Bad, don’t worry you can still watch this show and not be confused. For those that have watched the show, then it is really interesting to get the backstory of Saul Goodman and how he transformed to become the shady, backroom dealing lawyer. However, the show is not just about Saul Goodman, or his actual name, James “Jimmy” McGill. We get to see more backstory into the life of Mike Ehrmantraut, the cleanup man from Breaking Bad. I always found him to be such an intriguing character from that show, so any detail in his past life is really fascinating to see develop. Another character from Breaking Bad that has also made an appearance and who will definitely play a role in the future is Tuco… dun dun dun.

mike

This is the kind of show that it is very hard to give a plot synopsis without giving too much away so I will keep it very brief. The show follows the life of Jimmy McGill, a lawyer trying to open up his own practice and make it big. Currently, this dream has not gone according to plan. His office and home are in the back of a Chinese nail salon and the majority of his work is as a public defender. I swear I am not doing it justice with this, but trust me if you watch it you’ll thank me for the lack of detail!

Fun Fact: There have been rumors that Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) and Walter White (Bryan Cranston) will make appearances in later episodes!

2 thoughts on “Better Call Saul

1. Brooke Juice says:

The only thing that kept me from watching Better Call Saul was the fact that I have never seen Breaking Bad (which I too wanted to watch but there’s just soo many episodes and not enough time). I’m a really big fan of shows that are law related so I feel like I would enjoy watching this show. Thanks for sharing!

2. Arianna Hilk says:

I watched a few episodes of this show and I was so impressed too! When I first heard about it, I was skeptical. But after watching some episodes, I’m sold. I’ll have to finish the season soon (aka watch Netflix and ignore my responsibilities).