South Park

This week I wanted to write about a show that I have only recently gotten into because my friend is basically obsessed with it. The one, the only, the controversial South Park! This show is absolutely hilarious though I can see why it is not for everyone because it can be an acquired taste. They do not hold back in discussing serious issues but in a funny and satirical way. I have not watched that many episodes yet but the ones that I have watched have been hilarious. It can also be super offensive at times though, but that comes with the territory.

south park

South Park is about five boys in elementary school (a fact that is very shocking when hearing all the things that they say) and the various situations that they get themselves into. The show has been running since 1997 so they have made episodes about pretty much everything. Since the humor comes from satire a lot of the episodes pertain to what is happening in the world during those particular times. What I love so much about South Park is that they are not afraid to make fun of anyone and anything. No one is safe from being the butt of a South Park joke. Heck even Penn State basically had an episode after the whole Sandusky scandal. For those of you that are curious that episode is called “The Poor Kid” and it is really funny even as a proud Penn Stater.

chrisitian rock

Another good thing about the show, for us college kids in particular, is that it is another show that does not have a running plot. You can watch any episode that you think is funny and you do not have to have any previous context to understand to enjoy it. There have been episodes like like “Crème Fraiche” about the consequences of getting addicted to the Food Network channel. Or “Christian Rock Hard” about one of the boys, Carman, writing Christian rock songs by replacing the words of popular love songs to Jesus. Those are just some of my favorites, there are so many more that are all really funny. However, for those of you that prefer that kind of thing and actually having a story line, the writers of the show made their last season (Season 19) have a plot. That season has done very well and I thoroughly enjoyed it so this show really has whatever you are in the mood for. The season is all about political correctness and safe spaces and how they can become a bad thing when taken to the extreme.

kenny

Fun Fact: The writers of the show have killed off one of the boys, Kenny, 103 times since the show has started. For those that do not know it is running joke on the show that they kill Kenny and the kids yell back “Oh my god, they killed Kenny!”. Its also one of the only times that I have come across where they break the fourth wall. They have gotten very creative with how they kill him also, which is both terrible and funny.

One thought on “South Park

1. Hannah says:

I’ve actually only seen little segments of this show, but I really appreciate the fact that the show is willing to make fun of anything. I’ve never watched the episode related to Penn State, but now I’ll be sure to check it out. What I’ve seen from this show really reminds me of Family Guy, which I’m able to appreciate when I’m in the right mood. Perhaps I’ll try South Park the next time I’m looking for a laugh!