The Link Between Art and Stress Relief

A big problem with stress is the internalization of feelings that all to often comes with an overwhelming stress response. The stress builds up inside, but most people have no way to release the stress in a productive way. One of the biggest recommendations on how to release stress and other feelings is journaling. Journaling is a difficult process for many as it is often hard to put into words the exact things that may be bothering them. In those times that the actual words may be difficult another option may be turning to more creative channels such as art

Most people have seen those ever popular “adult coloring books,” and chances are you may have rolled your eyes at the very idea of a coloring book for an adult. In fact, you may have rolled your eyes yet again when you heard they were supposed to reduce your stress. These books, however, did not appear out of thin air or without any type of science behind them. It has been scientifically proven over and over that art reduces stress. Girija Kiamal, a researcher at Drexel University, conducted a study looking at the effects making art has on stress hormones in the body. The study found that 45 minutes of creative activity significantly lessens stress in the body.

Now the question is: how can art reduce my stress? First, art can help take the mind off of things. While in the process of creating art, one can become distracted and forget whatever the source of stress is temporarily. It is very difficult for humans to multitask, so by putting energy into things other than stress, the stress can slip away. Even if it is only temporary, it is still a source of relief. For many people, when they become so focused on something, they enter an almost meditative state without even realizing it. This can often happen in the process of creating art and reaching this so called “state of flow” can significantly reduce stress levels.

The thing many people say when they are faced with an art task is, “I cannot do art.” This is simply not true, any person can “do art,” and art, especially that is aimed at reducing stress can take on any form that is most comfortable for a person. To reduce stress, you do not need to go out and purchase a canvas and acrylic paints. You do not need to become the next Picasso or Monet. A simple pencil doodle on a lined sheet of paper can provide the artistic release of stress almost more than a more elaborate form of art. Doodles are often unconscious and unfocused drawings and can often serve as coping mechanism for stress. There is a very self-soothing element to doodling and the meditative state it brings. So, if your excuse was “I cannot do art,” think again. You can, and you should try some artistic avenues to start to relieve some of your internalized stress and feelings.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/study-says-making-art-reduces-stress_n_576183ece4b09c926cfdccac

https://www.verywellmind.com/art-therapy-relieve-stress-by-being-creative-3144581

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/arts-and-health/201401/doodling-your-way-more-mindful-life

1 Comment on The Link Between Art and Stress Relief

1. Amy
    April 29, 2020 at 12:30 am (4 years ago)

Most of the time when I am stressed, I normally don’t do anything productive. I either binge Netflix or talk to my friends for hours and then I feel gross for wasting a good amount of my day on literally nothing. If I were to have read this post a couple of days ago, I don’t think I would’ve agreed. Art always stressed me out because I am the least artistic person in the whole world. But recently I found one of my old disney princess coloring books. As silly as it sounds considering I am nineteen years old, I really did enjoy coloring! I felt way more relaxed and ready to continue with my day. What’s even better is that I didn’t feel that gross feeling I get after wasting time because it didn’t feel like a waste!

Reply