March 2020 archive

Policy Issue Brief

The issue:

Many people across America have heard the term “eating disorder,” but not many people know what this means or what kind of problems this community faces. Eating disorders are much more common than many realize. Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents (Eating Disorder Facts and Statistics para. 1). In addition, eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any other mental illness with around one person dying every hour as a result of an eating disorder (Eating Disorder Facts and Statistics para. 1). One of the most striking things about eating disorders and their treatment is that over 70% of those who could be clinically diagnosed with eating disorders will never seek professional treatment because of stigmas, misconceptions and an overall lack of education (Eating Disorder Facts and Statistics para. 1). The public is generally unaware of such startling statistics, or of the overall prevalence of eating disorders in society. This additionally means most people are not aware of the need for research on eating disorders to better diagnose and treat those afflicted and educate the public. There is clear need to accelerate research in this field as the “causes, risk factors, brain changes and other biological abnormalities in eating disorders is unclear” (Research para. 1). If more research can be done on this topic eating disorders may become preventable and recoverable

Causes:

The cause of this lack of research leading to inadequate education, diagnosis and treatment has an inadvertent cause. Society is unaware that eating disorders are a big issue and require more research. Our society still knows very little about eating disorders as it was not until 1983 when Karen Carpenter died from anorexia that it became something people even talked about (Ekern para 1). Much of the inadvertent cause comes from the fact that government funding for eating disorders is incredibly low compared to other issues that are “not as pervasive nor as fatal as eating disorders.” (Ekren para 3) The US government funds only 28 million dollars a year to eating disorder research which is about 93 cents for each person diagnosed with an eating disorder (Ekern para 3). This is compared to alcoholism which receives 505 million dollars, schizophrenia with 352 million, depression with 328 million and sleep disorders with 187 million (Ekern para 4).

Policy instruments:

A policy instrument that would be used to increase the funding for eating disorder research would be inducements in the form of increased pubic funding. While it would be nice to think that the federal government would increase their funding for such topics, it is also widely known that this may be a difficult institution to target for increased funding. Breaking it down to a state-by-state basis and having states provide an increase in funding would be much more effective. One of the reasons why targeting states may be more effective, especially in Pennsylvania, is that there is more of an interest in the subject. In Pennsylvania, the Secretary of Health, Dr. Rachel Levine, previously worked as chief of the Division of Adolescent Medicine and Eating Disorders at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital (University of the Sciences para. 6). This unique circumstance of Pennsylvania’s leadership makes the state government an ideal place to direct funding incentives. Institutions such as the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) have been directing their advocacy projects towards state and federal governments to attempt an increase in funding for research.

Works cited:

Ekern, Baxter. “Funding for Eating Disorder Professionals Seeking to Do Research.” Eating Disorder Hope, 25 July 2015, http://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/funding-for-eating-disorder-professionals-seeking-to-do-research.

“Eating Disorder Facts & Statistics.” Eating Disorder Facts & Eating Disorder Statistics | Eating Recovery Center, http://www.eatingrecoverycenter.com/conditions/eating-disorders/facts-statistics.

“Research.” FREED, 20 Feb. 2018, http://www.freedeatingdisorders.org/research/.

“Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine to Address 2019 Graduates at Commencement.” University of the Sciences, 1 Apr. 2019, http://www.usciences.edu/news/2019/secretary-of-health-dr-rachel-levine-to-address-2019-graduates-at-commencement.html.

When the Whole World Feels Stressed

As I sit and write this post, I could not think of a better time to be writing a blog about stress than right now. Currently we are sitting right in the middle of a global pandemic, and the whole world is under a state of constant stress. Every single person has been affected by the pandemic and the impact is has had on the world. Each and every person’s lives have been turned completely upside down. Whether this means they are now working at home, or have been sent home from school, or some have even lost their jobs and are facing the possibility of also losing the homes too. It is not an over exaggeration when I write that no person is calm right now.

That is ok.

It is ok to be stressed. It is ok to feel upset, angry, confused or any of the other things you may be feeling. In uncertain times, you cannot help how your body and mind respond, but you can affect the actions you take in responding to the challenges. You can rise up to the occasion, and show that this thing, and these events do not define you. We can become one as a society and show we are all in this together, and as we do, we can slowly ease each other’s stress and the stress of the world.

So in in the times where it seems like there is nothing you can possibly do besides sit, stare at the wall, and feel sorry that you are not where you want to be, what can you do to ease this overwhelming sense of stress? One thing that I have picked up and have found very helpful has been yoga. For a long time, I HATED yoga and the idea of being still in the way that yoga forces you to be. However, when things started going really south with the Coronavirus and I could physically feel the stress coursing through my body, I knew I needed a physical release and yoga was just the thing. I found a YouTube channel with hundreds of at home yoga tutorials that are simple and not too complex. I have dedicated myself to doing yoga each day, and I now look forward to my daily yoga practice. Since everything is closed and there is really no where to go, the best way I have found to get out of the house has been going for walks. The weather for the most part has been really nice, and it is always good to go out and get some fresh air. In order to get the most out of my walks, I try to be really mindful, and pay attention to the things and sights around me as I walk. I also try to fill my time with art, including adult coloring books and other projects to keep my mind off of the stress that is around me.

If there has ever been a time to use the stress relief techniques of this blog it is now. This situation will not last forever, although it may seem like that now. Be proactive and take steps to reduce your stress before the stress gets the best of you.

Stay safe. Stay heathy. Stay relaxed.

Coronavirus reflection

I do not really know where to start this post. It is hard to pick one place to start talking about the Coronavirus. The sheer size of this pandemic and its effects are astonishing. It has almost seemed like a domino effect around the world. The effects of the virus are seen not just in the medical field and the overwhelming rate of cases hospitals and medical facilities must deal with, but also in many social aspects. One of the scariest domino effects of the virus is the toll it is taking on the global economy. The stock market is crumbling, and businesses are falling under. Even once the virus clears up, the economic downfall will be felt for a long time.

Every single person in this country has had their lives turned upside down. It is very upsetting to know that I will not being going back to school this semester, and I will have to move out of my dorm in the next few days. I do know, however, there were people whose lives took much more drastic turns than my own.   I feel for the people who were supposed to get married in the next few weeks as many of them have had to cancel their weddings. I also feel for the people who are seniors in high school and college because many graduations and other events have been cancelled.

I am still trying to process it all. It is very hard to process as everything changes so rapidly all the time. It seems like I wrap my head around one development, either personal or national, and a new one comes right along seemingly turning my life, and the lives around me upside-down all over again.

I hope anyone reading this is safe, healthy and keeping busy.

Reflection of Deliberation From Another Section

Deliberation: Ex- Con and Moving’ On- The Reintegration of Prisoners Back into Society (Monday 3/2)

The topic of this deliberation was all about the issues surrounding the reintegration of prisoners once they leave jail. It looked at some of the biggest problems this population faces and what can be done to remedy these problems. The first approach looked at the process toward release and how to better prepare prisoners for the actual departure from the jail. One of the most interesting things I think this approach suggested was tattoo removal before release. This was something I had never really considered important until it was suggested in the deliberation. Tattoos often carry a certain stigma with them, and removal before prisoners are released could significantly assist in reintegration. The second approach looked at professional development. This is something immensely important to the process of reintegration. I had heard of programs like what this approach was suggesting, but what I found particularly interesting about this approach was continued assistance after release as opposed to just before release. I feel as this is a great suggestion to help support prisoners in finding and keeping work after release. The last approach discussed housing for convicted criminals upon release. They talked about halfway houses, and how vital they are for ensuring lower recidivism rates. They suggested expanding halfway houses and creating more to help a greater number of prisoners upon their release.

Overall, I found the deliberation to be run smoothly and the approaches flowed and fit together very well. There were a few interesting differences from my deliberation I found in the structure and layout of the event. First, I found it interesting that the moderators in team overview created a strict set of ground rules about how the event would be run and how things would and would not be discussed. I felt as if laying out the rules like this was overly formal and more less of an uncomfortable way to start the deliberation. Something else I found that was strange about the introduction was the way they had everyone go around the room and tell their name, position (student, employee, town member etc.) and their “person stake” in the issue. I thought this was incredibly uncomfortable as for the most part all the people there were students who had little to no personal stake in the issue. Additionally, there were a lot of attendees to the deliberation so introductions took up a lot of time that could have been used for discussion later down the road.

Something I did really like about the setup of this deliberation was that they had all the chairs set up in a large circle around the room. I felt as if this gave the event more of a conversational feel and less of a presentation feel that my deliberation had. Being in a circle made it easier to talk with people rather than talk at them. It made the event feel more relaxed and less stiff and formal. Another thing I really liked about this deliberation was the pro- con format the approaches had with their discussion. They introduced their ideas and then asked questions strictly about the pros and cons of their approach. I think this really helped keep the discussion on track with the approach and not veer off topic. At first, I was not a fan of such a strict format, but as the deliberation progressed, I really liked how efficient it was in discussing the topics.

Music and Stress

When you are in those moments of deep stress what do you do? For me, one of the first things I do is go right into Spotify and turn on some music. This usually really helps improve my mood, so I wondered, can stress really be managed, in a broader sense, by music?

As I suspected, listening to music does have a relaxing effect on both our minds and bodies. Music can and often does act as a powerful technique to help manage stress. Music is a type of meditative tool as it absorbs your attention, distracting from whatever is causing stress in that moment. As it distracts from this stress it can help the mind from wandering and instead reach a deeper meditative state. The ability to take one’s mind off of distractions by any means allows one to explore their emotions or other thoughts. Often times when people are incredibly stressed, they actually avoid music because they may feel it is a waste of time or distracting. Studies have actually proven productivity increases and stress is reduced when people put on music.

One prominent study was done at McGill University and found that listening to music not only helped to reduce participant’s stress, but also improved immune system functioning. It was also found that it was more effective than prescription medications at reducing certain participant’s anxiety before surgery. They found that listening to music increased the production of immunoglobulin A which helps with the body’s immunity. Listening to music also reduced the levels of cortisol, a stress hormone in the body. Science continually backs this idea of using music to reduce stress, as many other studies have come to similar conclusions.

Initially when I thought about the relationship between music and stress, I only really thought about what the effects would be from listening to music. However, I also found there are significant benefits from making music as well. Researchers have stated that playing a musical instrument can also switch off the stress response in the body and can improve both physical and emotional health. The way it works is when the we undergoes stress, a chain reaction in the body occurs, switching genes in the cells to make chemicals as a response. Research has found playing music actually sets off an opposite chain reaction that switches off the genes again.

Recreational music making is the best type to experience this phenomenon. In a recreational setting we often feel the most comfortable rather than in a more professional music-making setting. There are multiple studies that have shown the benefits to recreational music making in many different at-risk groups, but researchers caution that one should not think to the actual music as a sort of “end product” but rather a tool to calm down. This is a good takeaway, especially for those who many not think of themselves as “musical.” Rather than sitting down and trying to learn a totally new instrument, try just messing around on a digital keyboard for a few minutes for a similar effect. Making music very well may turn out to be the stress relief technique we were all looking for.

https://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/features/how-making-music-reduces-stress#2

https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-power-of-music-to-reduce-stress/

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/nlp/2015/04/5-scientific-studies-the-prove-music-decreases-stress-and-promotes-healing/