Mid Season Report and Trade Talks

The Philadelphia 76ers have cooled off from their hot January start. They have lost 6 of their last 7 games and have seemed to hit a mid season wall. The confidence and spark that was there in the early parts of January is now gone. They just couldn’t sustain their upright movement in the standings. The things the we’re doing well like defense and ball movement are non existent. For example, in their last 7 games all the opponents have scored over 100 points. Defense is what we elevate this team to the next level and must be a priority. In addition, the Sixers do not have the offensive firepower to get into these types of games with opposing teams. Focusing on the fundamentals should still be the message Head Coach Brent Brown is still relying to the team. With five games left before the All Star break this team can take some momentum into the second part of the year and see what that takes them.

Looking forward to after the all star break for this team there are two major developments unfolding. First, the return of Ben Simmons has been rumored to be coming after the all star break. For a team that needs a push this will surely be the push they need. As I mentioned in my previous blog no one knows for sure if we will see Ben Simmons in the second half of the season. Most people are speculating considering his time since his injury and his progress so far that February seems like the most logical return date. If Ben Simmons returns he will be able to play at the most 26 games with the team. This is considering no restrictions or injures. I’m sure the Sixers will continue their current trend of not allowing players coming off major injures to play back to back games. Ben Simmons would just be available for just 22 games if that factor is added in. The Sixers also will not allow Ben Simmons to get too many minutes when he ones back. I believe they will most likely start Ben Simmons at a 20 minute per game restriction they may increase to 25 by the end of the season. Altogether, I still believe we need to see Ben Simmons on the floor even if it’s only a small sample size this year.

The Sixers current dilemma at the center position may finally be fixed in the coming days. Jahlil Okafor has been involved in advanced trade talks that could move the center to another team.
This would allow the Sixers to have a more balanced roster. Right now as a result of the Sixers having 3 centers with starting potential only two play on a game night. With Joel Embiid and Nerlins Noel playing well in their roles this has left Okafor out. It has been reported that the Sixers want first round in exchange for Okafor’s services. I believe they should look to get a guard who can’t shoot or a solidified defender. They need to know what they’re getting if they trade Okafor.

One thought on “Mid Season Report and Trade Talks”

1. It is hard being a Philly sports fan. My whole life no matter what the sport, I support Philadelphia’s team. Though I was lucky enough to experience the Phillies win the 2008 World Series inside Citizen’s Bank Park , I am plagued constantly with terrible teams that I still route for no matter what. The Sixers have been giving hope. Our team is young and has plenty of potential. I am really excited to see what happens when Ben Simmons comes back. I really hope he is as good as he has been hyped up to be. The Sixers could definitely use the next Lebron.