Eagles Draft Talk #3

The Philadelphia Eagles are about to start preparing for the most important part of there season the NFL draft. After drafting their franchise quarterback Carson Wentz last season, they must begin to build around him immediately. The Eagles 7-9 record was a good start for a first year head coach and quarterback. There are positions where talent and depth must be added. We need young difference makers on both sides of the ball that that can assist Carson Wentz as he leads the team. The positions most football analysts have identified as needs for the Eagles are wide receivers, cornerback, offensive line, running back and defensive end. I will be focusing offensive line prospects in this blog.

Cam Robinson is the best overall prospect in this year’s offensive line class. He has the potential to be a top-15 pick and a building block for the Eagles’ offensive line. He had a stronseason playing for the University of Alabama. His pass blocking improved tremendously and  he has solidified his strong run blocking. However, there have been a lot of mixed views about Cam Robinson’s talent and potential at the next level. Some scouts believe as a result of this year’s draft not having many top level offensive tackle prospects that he has been rated higher than he should. There have been executives that have r1ated Cam Robinson as low as a second round pick. This is concerning because the Eagles need to make sure they get this years draft right. They cannot afford to draft a player with such a high risk of being a bust.

Ryan Ramcyzk is this a proven left tackle coming from Wisconsin University. Many counts have given him a first round grade.  He was a major part of the successful running attack this past season. He has quick feet and gets out of his stance well. He has success stopping pass rushers’ first moves and stopping their momentum. Although, he seems like a good potential prospect for the Eagles, there are two major concerns about Ryan Ramcyzk. First, his lack of strength at the tackle position. He has a tendency to get bull rushed and not be able to hold his ground. Another concern is his recent injury history. Ryan Ramcyzk had to get surgery for a torn labrum. The Eagles should not select him unless the hip is completely healthy.

Ethan Pocic is a guard/center combo that could be the perfect fit for the Eagles. Since the Eagles have a need at both positions, his versatility makes him an attractive prospect. He is a balanced offensive lineman. He doesn’t have overbearing strength or great technique but he does everything well. He can hold his block at the line to give the quarterback time or get down field quickly to block for a screen pass. Ethan Pocic is an intelligent player who gets the mental aspect of football as well. The Eagles shouldn’t use a first round pick on him but they could defiantly target him in the second round.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017OT.php

One thought on “Eagles Draft Talk #3”

1. Hi Chris,

This was an…enlightening read. I don’t know much about football outside of Penn State; and even then, I only know the basics of what happens on the field and who the main point-scorers are. I didn’t know about all the minute details that went into choosing the players on the team. Of course, I knew it was an important process, but there are so many things to think about. I like the way you organized this; going person by person gives a nice sense of order to this. Talking about the aspects of each player also educates people like me, who know nothing about football. My only suggestion is to give a little bit more order to the sentences within the paragraph. Other than that, the article was pretty good!

-Miah