“The Spins” – Mac Miller

“The Spins” is the 6th song on Mac Miller’s mixtape K.I.D.S. This mixtape was originally released in 2010, but has regained some popularity after it was put on Spotify last year. This song in particular has been highly played recently because of its popularity on Tik Tok. I have always been a Mac Miller fan because I used to get rides from a kid when I was in middle school who LOVED him. However, I have found myself listening to him a lot more since his death.

To me, this song sounds the way summer feels. The energy of it is unmatched and always makes me want to sing along. It samples “Half Mast’ by Empire of the Sun as the background instrumental, which I think is the perfect fit. The actual lyrics of “Half Mast” are somewhat sad, but Empire of the Sun also has a lot of upbeat energy so it works very well with the vibe of the song. My absolute favorite part of the song is towards the end where ad libs “I just graduated high school” followed by a more excited “oh yeah I just graduated high school!”. I love this part because it describes the feeling right after graduating perfectly. 

Another thing I love about K.I.D.S. being released onto major streaming platforms recently is that it shows us how much Mac Miller progressed as an artist. This mixtape was originally produced when Miller was 18, which in itself is super impressive, but you can definitely tell how young he is when you listen to it. The lyrics of K.I.D.S. are often pretty – for lack of a better word – fratty. There’s a lot about partying, girls, and having fun, which is to be expected from an 18 year old boy. Compared to K.I.D.S, his newer works like Circles and Swimming show a lot more growth and maturity. They contemplate more meaningful themes with more poetic lyrics. While of course this is at part just him growing up and becoming more of an adult, it is still interesting to observe his changes as an artist. It kind of feels like you’re growing up with him, which I think is cool. 

While the party-centric lyrics of “The Spins” can’t compare to the melodical-ness of his later and more popular work, something about the way it captures the feeling of being young secures it as one of my all-time favorite Mac Miller songs.