UN Ad campaign.

un-women-auto-complete-shows-what-internet-thinks-of-women-1 (1)

Photo Credit: Unwomen.org

This add was released by the UN to show the internet’s perspective of women rights. The first that comes to my attention when I see this image is the white box centered in front of the women’s face, covering her mouth. We see that the surrounding of the picture is all black because of the hijab or veil, and the lightning focuses mainly on her face. Her eyes portray sadness. Inside the search bar we can read “women need to” and the text below which is the autocompletion part of the google bar according to most popular searches we can read “women need to be put in their place” “women need to know their place” “women need to be controlled” “women need to be disciplined”

What I can tell about this add is that its simplicity in colors and in content makes it a powerful thing to see. It is hard to accept that this kind of thinking still happens in our so called “modern society” but we all know that people nowadays have google as a main source. Every time we look for more information on a subject we go to this source, and with the autocompletion feature google has we can see whats going on every time someone googles the phrase “women need to”. So to me this search bar represents human thinking, what people think in their sub conscience and google whit no fear of prejudice because no one is around showing how human rights is an important issue. At the end of the add we can see the phrase “women need to be seen as equal” same font, same size leaving a last thought on the reader. That phrase is outside of the box for a reason. I believe this happens because it is not there but thats a way of saying that it should.

This entry was posted in Beauty through your tiptoes. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to UN Ad campaign.

1. Varumporn Pimsen says:

Hi Camila,
    The image you chose effectively incited the feminism in me. My passion towards this issue was so strong that I felt like I couldn’t sit still after reading your interpretation. I agree with you that we are now in a modern world already. Women, therefore, should get as equal right as men does. A lot of stories regarding the oppression of Arab women made me think that it is time to make the change. It is time that women are treated fairly and appropriately.
    Proud

2. Nicole Franks says:

I love this advertisement. It is so creative and especially from a girls perspective very respected and appreciated. The words in the search box over her mouth really emphasize the meaning behind it’s purpose if anyone had any doubts so it makes it very clear. I agree with Brittany too, it is really inspiring and motivating and makes me want to help advocate change and set the right example for other women to follow in my footsteps. Nice post.

3. Brittany Cannarozzi says:

Camila,

I agree with your interpretation and analysis of this photo. I feel like the white box is keeping her from saying something. It’s a distraction for the audience and it’s hurtful, being a woman, to see that in different countries or maybe even in America, this still exists. We’re all human. I think the search bar is extremely effective, simply because it’s entirely the truth. The last line, “women need to be seen as equal” is really powerful and it makes me want to get up and do something. I love the image.

-Brittany 🙂