A recent question about my path into the sciences took me back to my favorite days as a young girl visiting the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge in Morris County, NJ. I have such vivid memories of the boardwalk, skunk cabbage, school field trips, learning how to make maple syrup, and its visitor center full of curiosities. It became a favorite Saturday occasion to talk nature with my father along the marsh edges, identify the plants, birds, and other animals with my mother or to celebrate the mountain laurel bloom at the end of spring with friends. Even then, I deeply appreciated the space and time the Great Swamp provided.

Claire getting a closer look at the marsh marigolds below the boardwalk at the Great Swamp.

Though it took me until my 40’s to become a traditional scientist, I wanted to go back and revisit the place where my life in science really began, way back in the 70’s. After a bit of research as an adult, I learned about the Great Swamp’s controversial history, its role in establishing the environmental movement in New Jersey, and its importance in the establishment of national wilderness areas. “The Great Swamp Wilderness Act of 1968 established the first wilderness area designated within the Department of the Interior.” I immediately became a member of Friends of Great Swamp and am planning a return visit with my parents during the laurel bloom this June.

The importance of shared resources like the Great Swamp can not be taken for granted. The Great Swamp and resources like it, support water quality, families, diversity, emerging scientists, wildlife, and education for all ages. I hope everyone who has supported the Great Swamp with their time, money, dedication, persistence, and influence appreciate the impact they have made not only for the environment but for humanity too. Their legacy is an inspiration for this and future generations. Thank you!

My mother enjoying the beauty of the mountain laurel bloom at the Great Swamp.