Campus shooting at Chapel Hill (Passion #2)

Earlier this week, on a quiet Tuesday afternoon in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, shots rang out in an apartment complex near the University of North Carolina. Three victims were identified in this shooting: Deah Barakat, 33, a second-year dental student at the University of North Carolina, his wife, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, 21, who was set to enroll at UNC in the fall, and Yusor’s 19 year old sister, Razan, who was a student at North Carolina State University. The following day, a 46 year old man named Craig Stephen Hicks was apprehended and charged with three counts of murder.

Even though this is a great tragedy within itself, there is an even deeper controversy regarding the cause of this shooting. The entire Muslim community is concerned that these act was a hate crime, and there is an active campaign against Muslims in this country. However, according to the shooter’s wife, this incident stemmed from a long standing dispute over a parking space in the apartment complex that they shared. Chapel Hill police assured the community that they would learn Hicks’ true motive, but their reports say that the parking spot claim seems to be validated.

The incident has sparked some serious racial tensions, with the hashtag #MuslimLivesMatter popping up frequently throughout social media.

Many people have been voicing their opinions on the matter on social media.

The Barakat family claims that there had been many prior interactions between the two parties, including many comments that Hicks made about how their appearance made him uncomfortable. In an interview with Suzanna Barakat, Deah’s sister, she says that she had heard second hand about these comments through some of Deah’s friends, with whom he had shared his frustration. You can watch that full interview here:

In this interview, she makes it very clear that she wants the media to focus on the good that her family, and the Muslim community as a whole, has done to make the world a better place. Deah was set to embark on a trip to Turkey over the summer with ten other dentists to provide dental care to Syrian refugees, and he posted a YouTube clip asking for donations to help these refugees.

Since this tragedy, the donations have been pouring in for his cause. The goal for the project was $20,000. As of Thursday morning, the project had raised over $200,000. Along with the donations come many words of kindness.

“While the families are overwhelmed with grief, let us all overwhelm them with love from across the world by donating to Syrian Dental Relief,” said Jane Chesterman Jewell.

North Carolina State University also released an article In Memoriam of the victims of this tragedy, where Deah was an alumnus and Razan was a current student (https://news.ncsu.edu/2015/02/gone-too-soon/). There have been multiple candlelight vigils in their honor at the NC State campus, and many students have spoken out about how Deah and his wife Yunus have impacted their life.

My thoughts are prayers go out to the families of these three beautiful young individuals, who were taken from us too soon.

screen-shot-2015-02-11-at-1-56-30-pm

2 Comments on Campus shooting at Chapel Hill (Passion #2)

1. njg5175
    February 17, 2015 at 9:42 am (9 years ago)

It blows my mind how something like this can occur. How innocent lives can be taken over whether it’s a parking spot or a hate crime. Both of these reasons are absolutely absurd. Seeing the wonderful person behind the victim, through the sister’s eyes, is painful for anyone and incomprehensible as to why him. I found the tweet you shared particularly interesting. Sally Kohn is correct. This has been the case for the past and present. When it’s a Muslim shooter, people tend to blame the religion as whole. When it’s a white shooter, he/she is usually viewed to be acting alone. Interesting how the past can dictate perception.

2. rxs5543
    February 14, 2015 at 1:08 pm (9 years ago)

This is a tragedy and my prayers certainly go out to the families of Deah, Yusor, and Razan. When I first saw it on the news and heard about the idea that they were killed over a parking spot, I was in shock. And that has not changed much. I do not think I will ever believe a reasonable human being would kill three people because they fought over a parking spot. But then again, the shooter was probably not a reasonable person.
    I think it was a hate crime. I think that the shooter was uncomfortable with what Deah, Yusor, and Razan believed in and hated the Muslim religion and culture so much that he killed them for it. I hope I will never be able to understand how fear can inspire an individual to kill others, but that is what I believed happened here. I think it is a problem cultures, races, and religions will have to deal with if we are ever going to hope for an end to violence and war. Muslim lives do matter, as do all other lives. If only everyone could see that.
    All we can do now is surround these families and others affected by similar crimes with prayers, love and support.