PAS2: Season? New York.

Ah New Yorkers. The most sleep deprived, grittiest, sophisticated people you could possibly think of. I don’t blame them. I lived in that city for most of my life and I can say first hand that NYC is has its own season system.

The most wonderful time of the year is finally over, and the snow hasn’t fallen yet, disappointing all tourists and locals alike who were hoping to get a glimpse of a white Christmas (thanks a lot global warming). Whatever, you push through your seasonal depression the months from January to April, hoping you don’t go from freezing winter temperatures to a heatwave (like what happened in 2018).

Work gets more challenging while gloomy days creep over you, and all you could possibly think about is the month of June – that special time you feel the heavy weight of seasonal depression being lifted off your shoulders. No more big coats, and rain boots and thick gloves that can’t change the song on your phone screen.

Finally! Spring has taken its place in the city.  The Park Avenue flowers have bloomed, and every activity in Central Park is in full affect. Jokes on you that winter melancholy lift lasts for about three weeks, before you start feeling an overwhelmingly huge amount of heat drench your body, leaving you with sweat patches on your new sundress. Let’s not forget what else summer brings. She reminds you that New York’s got a stinky trash problem. Yep. The smell of the mounting garbage on the roads – probably pest-ridden underneath – so you probably should cross that road (or two). Wearing anything other than tiny shorts and a tank top seem agonizing, basically barring you from entering designer stores or the attractive Madison Avenue cafes. But don’t worry! That’ll be over soon in around 2 months. Then you get to walk around molten hot New York wearing formal work clothes! Since the last few years ‘summer’ would go right into ‘fall’ season.

But alas, fall has arrived. The two weeks of the year you can experience bearable, and actually idyllic weather. Picnics in the park are at their peak. With Central Park’s emerald leaves turning red, gold, and in between. The back to school days of crisp cold mornings, poised with joists of sun touching your unclothed face. The love for this kind of weather is shared all across the city leaving you in a deep doom of nostalgia when the rain and sleet hits once again.

2 thoughts on “PAS2: Season? New York.

1. I’m making a documentary about New York and I entered your post that has a lot of cool information! I will add your link to my bibliography. Another thing I’m looking for is the flowers names that are typical of the region.

2. All New Yorkers like to eat breakfast away from home, it seems that the first thing they do is open a McDonald’s menu and choose something to start a great day at work with a lot of energy and satisfaction, the city is amazing and cosmopolitan, I love its restaurants, bars and events, the city breathes the winds of freedom 24 hours a day. May the torch never go out.