Swiping Right For Jobs

My current internship search has led me on a journey throughout the Internet to various job posting web sites that all claim to have the best connections and most proven strategies to circulate resumes and cover letters to employers. Many of these web sites are the same, simply a platform for job postings that users can look through searching for key words.

One web site that I’ve stumbled upon and that has stood out to me is Angel List.

I originally found Angel List while googling startups in New York City and discovered this web site which connects students specifically with startup companies. However, Angel List is much more than Indeed, StartWire, Monster Jobs, or even Planted, which also is specifically for startup positions.

Angel List is the Tinder of job searches.

After filling out an in-depth profile with my resume, strengths, and multiple paragraph-long responses about my experiences and accomplishments, a list of job opportunities that were deemed as compatible matches were presented to me. Only, instead of having to apply to each job individually with a unique cover letter, I simply had to click whether I were interested.

The companies who I selected as interests then received notifications to view my profile. If the interest were mutual, the hiring manager would reach out to me and try to set up an interview almost immediately.

As someone who has been applying to jobs since January and found himself often waiting for weeks at a time for answers about his status, I really appreciate the instantaneousness of this process, as superficial and untraditional as it may seem without cover letters or genuine, informed interest.

I think the Tinder model is an effective one for today’s students. We have grown accustomed to this I-want-it-now mentality that we have as consumers, whether it be binge watching a show that is 20 years old on Netflix, ordering cookies at 2:30 a.m., texting friends and checking Twitter wherever we are and during whatever we’re doing, looking for romantic partners on our phones rather than at a frat, or matching with 20 future employers at a time based on cursory descriptions.

Angel List is relatively unknown for the time being and purists will hold off on it because of how much more impersonal it makes the job-search process for companies, something that is already quite dehumanizing for applicants. Sites like Angel List represent the future of business because of the way it expedites something known to drag on and be tedious across fields.

The emphasis on companies’ and applicants’ elevator pitches will make this aspect of the job process even more important than it already is because everyone will have to know how to capture attention of the millennials who will be applying and hiring for the next 50 years.

One thought on “Swiping Right For Jobs

1. This is an interesting blog. I like how you are choosing to write about this topic at this time because it is very relatable and applicable to our generation.
    I have been searching for jobs and internships as well, but I have never heard of this site before. I think the way you described the site, but then related it back to how everything nowadays is becoming technologically based was interesting. Communication today is done through technology more than in person, and its interesting to see as technology grows lack of in person communication continues to result.
    As I have been searching for jobs it has all been based off the internet. Angel list seems to be a useful site. I will take a look at it to see how it will be helpful for me. Great post.