Info Wars, Part II: Surveillance Society
- CLASS DISCUSSION LEADERS – Brandi Telli and Cory Botti
- Read – Siva Vaidhyanathan, “Welcome to the Surveillance Society,” IEEE SPECTRUM, June 2011.
- Read – David Bollier, “Sousveillance as a Response to Surveillance,” Nov 24, 2013.
- For a clear background about the concept of sousveillance, watch Steve Mann’s TED talk on Wearable Computing and the Veillance Contract.
- DUE TODAY – Media Critique #2 (except for today’s class leaders, who can submit a paper next week)
- KEYWORDS – Surveillance, Sousveillance, Panoptic, Privacy
For Further Reading and Research:
- James Bamford, “The NSA and Me,” The Intercept, Oct 2, 2014.
- Surveillance & Society (journal website).
- Democracy Now! special on homeland security.
- Paul Lewis, “You’re Being Watched: There’s One CCTV Camera for Every 32 People in UK,” The Guardian, March 2, 2011.
Material discussed or referenced in class:
- Brandi and Cory’s presentation handout
- “MASINT: The Intelligence of the Future” – supplementary reading from Cory
- Michel Foucault on ‘The Panopticon’ and panoptic power
- 60 Minutes – “The Data Brokers“
- Journalist Will Potter and his Kickstarter project to challenge ‘Ag Gag’ laws with drone technology.