Week 15 – Gaemin Lee

This week’s reading “Citizens of The Empire” was long reading, but it was pretty interesting. The author, Robert Jensen, mentioned the United States as the greatest nation, and he questioning what’s the greatest. When I see the word “greatest”, I reminded last week’s guest lecture. During the lecture, she mentioned Chinese Sinocentrism, which means China is the center of the world, and from her nuance I felt that doesn’t make sense (kind of negatively). I also laugh at that moment, but in my second thought I questioned that “what about others? Korea? The United States? France?” I think most people believe and think their nation or their culture is the best in the world. For example, there are funny joke that Koreans are so brave people because they look down on American, Japanese, and Chinese because historically Korea related to those three powerful nations, and most time Korea was the weak, so they create some racial belittlement words like “Jap” as Japanese. I understand by this way they took it out on them. These days, Korean not really using those bad words, but still some old generations, who had bad experience to those countries use the word to call them. However, I don’t think that people believe their culture is the best or better than others is just bad. I also don’t think this is about certain culture or certain nations. When I travel to France last Thanksgiving break, I had hard time to communicate to French. The only French word I know is “Mercy”, which means “Thank you”, and I thought I can communicate with them if I can speak English because in Korea English is everywhere such as subway, restaurant, movie theater, and some tourist attraction spots. However, in France I could not find non-French languages in public areas. I need to buy a subway ticket, but the station employee doesn’t understand English, so I took a half hour to buy a right ticket. I still don’t know that I bought right ticket (I feel like I paid more than it should be). Also, I asked to French police officers to directions to the Cathedrale Notre-Dame, but they understand English, but they tell me the direction in French (I was kind of mad because if I understand French I even not need to ask them!).  During the travel I met some other Korean, who live in France, and they told me French’s pride of their country is very strong, so they tend to use French only even though they understand English. Then I realized not only Koreans or Chinese have self-respect to their culture and country, but also European and even Americans have those mind, and it is very natural thing whether its history or economy stand. I don’t think that people proud of where their from and their background, but it is necessary to understand “others” or “different” to living in the global world with harmony. Understanding and admitting differential is the most important key word that I learn from this course and my experience through studying in the United States. Since this is my last semester in here, and I will go back to my country after this semester to start a new social life, I want to say “thank you” to all that I could learn and experience this great culture.