Actual 1954 Murrow broadcast

Here is Edward Murrow’s actual broadcast, in which he quoted Shakespeare, from March 1954.

I think in this instance it’s interesting to read the comments, although I would generally advise against that. Many of them talk about how we need but do not have reporters like this today, and compare current events to the Red Scare.

3 thoughts on “Actual 1954 Murrow broadcast

1. Brett Oliver Smith

thanks for posting the actual broadcast. the thing that sticks out the most to me is, the fact that, you as the audience, are actually able to see Murrow; read his thoughts off of paper. In modern day television, you would never see, a broadcaster who’s addressing the public and, viewers withdraw his/her attention from the camera to read what to say next. In Addition, the fact that Murrow actually addressed McCarthy in a live broadcast is just absolutely riveting to me. I wish i was alive to see this golden relic of time and history.

2. knk5069

Thanks for sharing the video. I don’t think I would have thought of it actually being available to us on YouTube. I agree with Audrey, from this I can tell how well done the acting was by David Strathairn and directing by Clooney. I think Murrow’s line about the fault being in ourselves calls the audience to be accountable for their own opinions and think for themselves rather than believe everything they were hearing from McCarthy or other news sources. And I think this message is arguably more important to the media audiences today, than perhaps when he said it 50 years ago.

3. Audrey Ji Young Lim

Thank you for the actual video! This tells me how good the acting was done, the historical accuracy that Clooney was striving for, and I guess the general feeling about his speech once again. The speech does not merely attacking or dissing McCarthy, yet that quote he uses… the fault is in ourselves. I think that line reminds or draws attention from people that this is not a process of “witch-hunting” a man in this case, McCarthy, but to realize their/our wrongdoings (perhaps remaining silent against his unjust actions) also. Anyways, great speech; he really showed what the true… -well I would say -“idealistic” American and its values are.