Writing and My Dream Job

Writing
Writing has always been one of my favorite pastimes. I came to Penn State initially with the aspiration of becoming a journalist. I worked as reporter for the Daily Collegian my freshman year and while it was an incredible experience, I decided to take a leave of absence to pursue the newspaper’s business division to explore my other interests. I really enjoyed news-writing and I like how PR works so closely with it, which prompted me to switch my major to PR. While I do well with creative writing, the courses and experiences I have had at Penn State brought to my attention that I need to work on my formal and persuasive writing. I trail-off too often and have a fondness for wordy, run-on sentences. I also take a long time to produce a piece of work, which I need to direly work on in order to succeed in the communications world of deadlines. I have improved on my writing since taking Comm260W, and I hope that Comm471 will enable me to perfect all kinds of writing techniques.

My Dream Job
I have been an avid reader my entire life, drinking up everything from Ernest Hemingway to my local newspaper. But as of a few years ago my all-time favorite publication became Rolling Stone, and I would love nothing more than to earn a position working for them. My passions coincide perfectly with Rolling Stone’s purpose: The magazine features a terrific mix of music, politics and popular culture angled towards a less-serious audience while still maintaining serious coverage. I find coverage on business and politics fascinating, and I have a slight obsession with music; Working for Rolling Stone would truly be a dream job. I’m not 100% set on a specific job, but my ideal position would be to either work as a journalist or to work for their business division, dealing with advertising, PR, marketing or sales.