Unravelling the Film

“Spoiler Alert” is a blog dedicated to movies. But it is not just any old blog. This is a blog dedicated to the art of cinema, not just to give a movie a rating out of five and at the end telling you to watch it or save your money. No, this is dedicated to the art form of cinema. For me, when I see a movie that speaks to me, I watch it a second or third time to pick up on the small insignificant details that the first time just cannot yield. Though yes, throughout this blog I am summarizing movies, I would rather like to think of the posts as small commentaries. Movies throw several elements at us within a one to two hour period: effects, different kinds of lighting, monologues, soliloquies, and many more elements that occasionally, audience members cannot even pick up on simply because the plot is so engrossing or even so complicated. That is my goal: to unravel the film by picking it apart.

Using this blog, I can give my viewers a unique perspective from someone who is looking for those plot elements, and often times I will even include citations or links to other authors who share my opinion (if you, the audience, do not believe that my word is good enough). Movies will range in genre and time period in order to obtain a holistic view of the cinema (and most often they will be movies that will be critically acclaimed, not just old Disney movies). But, if I did not make it clear earlier, I will say that this blog is purely opinion. Do not go crying foul if I bash your favorite film or say that Saving Private Ryan was only “okay” (which is completely untrue). I’m just trying to open up the eyes of the viewers of cinema to look past the fancy effects, handsome actors, and jaw-dropping plot line and see elements like the twisting nature of the plot or the allegories that some films have to Shakespearean plays.

One example I can bring up at the end of this post is the Lion King. Some may know it as a musical, most know it as the film that their parents put on in order to obtain a moment of clarity in the household. Me? I see it as a testament of the storyboard animation style trend that Disney was notorious for using back in the nineties, as well as a direct model after Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” (though without all of the suicide and depression).

But I will make sure, out of common courtesy, to include a Spoiler Alert.