Libby’s Hash Browns

img_9556

The next recipe I am going to share with you is golden (literally). In all seriousness though this recipe is so easy to make but people love it. Like it will be the first thing gone, love it. It is easy to understand why once you see the ingredients. It is called Libby’s Hash Browns. They are very rich and buttery. I know all of you are wondering what the back story is to this recipe and of course, I have one! My mom works for the Catholic Diocese which is confusing because we are not Catholic. Regardless she does, and she became very close with the previous bishop of the diocese. Even after he retired they kept in touch. I knew him fairly well, but mostly loved going to his house because he had this adorable scotty dog that was so well behaved and trained. He passed away two years ago this spring, and my mom was very upset. This man had been her mentor and a dear friend. This recipe, Libby’s Hash Browns, was given to us by Bishop Bosco and so whenever I make it I think of him, his pipe tobacco smell and his awesome dog. I know he is smiling down on me every time I share it with others! So here is the recipe.

Libby’s Hash Browns

Ingredients:

1 lb. bag frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed)

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 8 oz. sour cream

1 small chopped onion

1 16 oz. shredded cheese

½ stick melted butter

Topping:

2 ½ c. crushed corn flakes

1 stick melted butter

Directions:

Put thawed potatoes in a large baking pan. Mix together the soup, sour cream, onion and shredded cheese. Then mix the cheese mixture and the hash brown mixture in the baking pan. Pour melted butter over all of it. Bake this for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees covered. Mix together the topping ingredients and pour over potatoes. Bake for 15 more minutes uncovered.

This is such an east recipe especially for college kids who may need to bring a dish to an event and don’t have any cooking supplies in their dorms. It is nice because you can buy and use all of the ingredients and not worry about them going to waste. This is also great for college students because you literally open stuff up and put it in a pan and it is cheesy and delicious.

I always take pride in dishes that are the first to go at a party or event that I make. I have gotten a lot of great recipes for potluck dishes from my Taste of Home: The New Potluck (pictured below) recipe book. Here is a link if you want to check it out on Amazon!

51yQbtLd6dL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_

Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Home-The-New-Potluck/dp/0898214580

My biggest advice to you when making this is to thaw the potatoes ahead of time. It makes it easier to mix it with the cheese and stuff. It doesn’t matter if you don’t it will melt in the oven and you can stir it whenever you take it out to put the topping on it. Also if you are taking it somewhere make sure you get in line first if you want to taste it because it will be gone in a second. As always… Enjoy!

Link to picture:

http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Home-The-New-Potluck/dp/0898214580

http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/jill’s-hash-brown-casserole-27095

3 thoughts on “Libby’s Hash Browns

1. jgs5271

This is the perfect dish. It is simple, easy, and delicious! I want to try to make this. I think I can handle making this more than I can handle making the chicken wonton dish. I like the combination of cheese and potatoes. How can you go wrong with this? It seems like a great dish to bring to a party, but I think I may have to make it for myself before I bring it somewhere so I can make sure that I try it. I also really liked the story that went along with this recipe. It was very touching, and it made this delicious sounding treat sound even better!

2. nbg5058

Mmmmmm, I’m a huge hash brown fan, so this recipe really hit home for me. I was interested to see that the second item on the ingredients list was cream of mushroom soup. I’ve never really seen this in a hash brown dish, but, then again, most of the hash browns I’ve eaten have been pretty traditional. I’d love to try this one, though! It’s true that we don’t have as much ability to cook here at school as we did in our kitchens at home, but this would definitely be doable (shout-out to the Globe Kitchen in Simmons!). My favorite part about this recipe is the crushed corn flake topping – that’s really the icing on the cake here, and I’m sure it sends this recipe over the top.

3. Abigail Louise Cosgrove

That dish sounds amazing! And it really does seem very simple to make, even a college kid could do it! I love how all of your recipes have a background story and I think having those types of sentiments to the food you make really makes it taste better. I definitely want to try making this for one of my family breakfasts! As always, thanks for sharing!