Chocolate Zucchini Cake

5961391971_8d2d43f680

When people ask me what I like to bake I never know the answer. As someone who loves to bake people expect the answer to be cupcakes or cake. However seeing as I am not really a big fan of eating either of those things that is never my answer. I also do not like to make cakes or cupcakes for another reason. They intimidate the hell out of me! Making a really good cupcake or cake is actually extremely challenging in my humble opinion. To get the cake to be moist and light is a struggle and what is worse the icing is even harder. Butter cream frosting is a complete nightmare to make!! Before I scare you away however, let me tell you the recipe below was nothing like other cakes I have made. It was virtually fool proof and extremely straightforward. Take a look!

Chocolate-Zucchini Cake

3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
3 c sugar
3 (1oz) unsweetened chocolate baking squares, melted
1 1/2 vegetable oil
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup pecans chopped
powdered sugar

Combine first 4 ingredients.

Beat eggs and sugar until blended. Add chocolate and oil. Beat well. Gradually add flour mixture. Last fold in zucchini and pecans.

Pour batter into a well-greased and floured bunt pan. Bake on 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.

Here is some additional information about the recipes for readers who are interested in calorie count and cost!

Nutritional value:  This is about 250 calories per serving.
Taste: I was really surprised, but this was one of my favorite recipes I have ever made. It is very good and not over powering.
Cost: This is about 11 dollars. We had the zucchini already from a friend whenever I made it last!
Ease of Making: It is easier than I thought but I burnt it a little the first time I made it. It doesn’t matter though because you flip it over.

chocolate zucchini cake

Me mixing the batter.

What I do love about this recipe too is that you would never guess it has Zucchini in it. I sometimes have a problem with zucchini sweets because even though people say you cannot taste the vegetable in your brownie…YOU CAN! I promise with this though you cannot. It is light and refreshing for a chocolate cake.

cleaning

The worst part was cleaning up afterwards!

Yet another great thing about this recipe is that you can get rid of all that zucchini that you have!! I know that gardeners tend to run into this problem a lot and end up giving zucchini away to everyone they know. This way you have a delicious and unique way to use your zucchini’s! I have also included a link below of some additional recipes that also give you creative ways to use your extra zucchinis! As always… Enjoy!

Link to additional recipes:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ingredients/zucchini-recipes/top-10-zucchini-recipes#10

Link to Picture:

http://mannadonn.blogspot.com/2011/07/chocolate-zucchini-bundt-cake.html

3 thoughts on “Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1. jgs5271

I mean I can never pass up an opportunity for chocolate so this definitely sounds good! I would not have thought of having Zucchini in a cake because I have never had that before, but it sounds really good. Was it difficult to make? Is it easy to mess up? I really would like to try making this next time I bake something at home!

2. Abigail Louise Cosgrove

All of your recipes really seem so simple to make! I’m not going to lie though, when I read the title of this post I didn’t think the food would be too yummy. But after reading the ingredients and cooking instructions it definitely seems like something new I would want to try! I really like how this dish makes one of my favorite desserts just a little bit healthier! By adding some extra ingredients, in your opinion, does it change the cooking times from regular chocolate cake? As always, thanks for sharing! Reading your posts always makes me hungry!

3. nbg5058

Again, this recipe seems so simple! I like how your recent posts have such a small number of steps in the instructions. It makes the recipes seem really conquerable to a relatively unexperienced chef like myself. Also, I loved this recipe because it’s a healthy twist on everyone’s (or at least what should be everyone’s) favorite dessert – chocolate cake! I’ve never worked with chocolate baking squares before. Do they burn less easily than regular chocolate? I’ve messed up a number of times when trying to melt chocolate and ended up with an unpleasant burnt flavor.