Chicken Salad

chicken salad

Me breaking my no meat streak!

This is a fairly easy recipe for Chicken Salad. This recipe will forever remind me of the year I spent being a vegetarian. Whenever I was a freshman in high school I decided that I wanted to not eat meat anymore. I didn’t really eat meat that much anyways and so I decided to take on the challenge of completely cutting it out of my diet. However the one exception I made to this was when I made chicken salad for my cooking project in 4-H. One of the key components of being a good cook or baker in my opinion is tasting your work to see what you can improve on. Therefore whenever I made this chicken salad recipe for the first time three summers ago I had to try it! Here is the recipe!

Chicken Salad
3 Tbsp golden raisins
3 cups chopped chicken
2 celery stalks thinly chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
1 carrot shredded
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 cup olive-oil mayonnaise

First chop and cook chicken. Soak raisins for ten minutes and drain. Put all ingredients in large bowl mix well and season with salt and pepper. Make sandwiches as you desire.
Serves: 5 people

I know that a lot of people are concerned with the nutrition facts on different recipes, especially food that is homemade because that is even harder to tell exactly how many calories are in the dish. I also added the cost and the taste rating on this recipe.

Nutritional value: This is a very healthy recipe for chicken salad with 440 calories.
Taste: It is very very good. Everyone in my family thoroughly enjoys it.
Cost: It cost about 15 dollars.
Ease of Making:  It is fairly simple to make. Cooking the chicken is a slight challenge.
Would I make it again: I would definitely make this again everyone in my family loves it.

Croissant_Chicken_Salad_Sandwich

Here is another way to eat chicken salad! On a delicious savory pastry!

I am not a huge fan of chicken or tuna salad, all the mayonnaise kind of grosses me out, but using olive oil mayonnaise is not only healthier but also offers a lighter taste. This is a link to 10 different chicken salad recipes and very unique and interesting ways to use them!

http://www.recipe4living.com/articles/10_ways_to_eat_chicken_salad.htm

Link to picture:

http://www.dvo.com/recipe_pages/ultimate/Croissant_Chicken_Salad_Sandwich.php

3 thoughts on “Chicken Salad

1. jgs5271

This is a great suggestion! I normally hate chicken salad and tuna salad too because of the mayonnaise. I will have to try it with the olive oil mayonnaise instead. Are there any other suggestions substitutes for mayonnaise that you have?

2. nbg5058

I’m also not a chicken salad fan, and for the same reason – mayonnaise really skeeves me out! But I’ll take your word about the olive-oil mayo. I’ve never tried that, but I have tried vegenaise, which I was a little more comfortable eating. Still not my favorite condiment. 440 calories seemed like a lot at first, but then when I thought about most chicken salads, this number is relatively low. Also, it’s pretty cheap to make, and pretty simple beyond cooking the chicken (which is a no-brainer for any experienced chef). I like your picture of you breaking the vegetarian streak. Does that mean, ever since that day, you’re not a vegetarian anymore? I know a couple people who don’t eat meat besides chicken, but I’m not so sure that counts as a vegetarian.

3. Abigail Louise Cosgrove

This chicken salad looks delicious! I agree with you when you say that all the mayonnaise in different chicken and tuna salads is a bit of a turn off, so I like that this recipe is made with an olive oil based mayonnaise to make the taste lighter. I think your own personal feedback as well as the nutritional facts are super helpful to the readers of your blog. I plan on exploring the variety of recipes you posted and pick the one that sounds most appealing to me. I definitely want to try this dish out on a summer day when I’m in need of a lighter meal/snack! As always, thanks for sharing!