Day 3: Health Policy Administration student Aminah Henderson Reflects on ATAP home visits and Career Changes

As a World Campus Student, I never thought that I would participate in a study abroad program, but I am very glad that I am. As a Health Policy Major studying Healthcare in Costa Rica surrounded by other students that are mainly nurses and are much younger than myself, I thought that this would be awkward for me, but we are all able to learn from each other and share in this awesome experience together. I have met some interesting people and we all seem to have our own story.

Wednesday May 8, 2019, I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences with our ATAP (Technical Assistant to Primary Care) Jairo Martinez. Shadowing Jairo has truly been the highlight of this trip to me. As Jairo visited homes of citizens I was able to accompany and participate first hand in one of Costa Rica’s preventative measures, and also another form of creating access to healthcare. This is particularly important to me because as a healthcare worker for so many years, I have seen the need for more preventative measures as well as greater access to healthcare.

As I followed Jairo and listened to him coaching patients on the importance of making doctors’ appointments, the importance of being up-to-date with their vaccinations, and making sure that everyone in the household is being compliant in order to ensure good health, what I found to be really important was that Jairo didn’t only ask questions regarding health, but he also focused on  the living conditions and the quality of life. In Costa Rica, the health of people and the quality of their lives are equally important. I really found that to be amazing that here in Costa Rica with limited resources and manpower, they still find a way to do much more in terms of access and prevention.

Being an HPA major I thought that the natural next step would be for me to become some form of manager or director in a healthcare facility, but being here in Costa Rica has made me think differently about my future career goals. I feel that my eyes have been open to options that I hadn’t even considered. Why limit myself to a hospital job? Maybe I can focus on public health, or work abroad in the same form as the ATAP’s in Costa Rica. I feel refocused and re-energized with that “Save the World” mentality and I am looking forward to a more focused career path.

One thought on “Day 3: Health Policy Administration student Aminah Henderson Reflects on ATAP home visits and Career Changes”

1. I am so pleased that you were able to include a study abroad experience in your World Campus degree program. We welcome any WC student to participate in any number of our education abroad programs offered throughout the year. It seems like this opportunity has opened your eyes to many future career possibilities. Please let us know if you want to study abroad again or discuss “career integration” of international experience into your future plans. The Penn State education abroad advisers can be reached at educationabroad@psu.edu. They work with students from all campuses, including WC!

-Kate Manni, Education Abroad Office