Books I Love: The Weird Ones

This story is one that I think will resonate with introverts and anyone who has ever had an accomplishment that seemed to overshadow them. Eliza is a teenage who has to deal with coming to terms with becoming massively (and anonymously) successful online, when in real life she has never wanted anything more than to blend in. Soon, the pressure of maintaining a fanbase, and getting a book deal threaten to turn her creative passion into consuming obligation.Synopsis:

“Her story is a phenomenon. Her life is a disaster.
In the real world, Eliza Mirk is shy, weird, and friendless. Online, she’s LadyConstellation, the anonymous creator of the wildly popular webcomic Monstrous Sea. Eliza can’t imagine enjoying the real world as much as she loves the online one, and she has no desire to try. But when Eliza’s secret is accidentally shared with the world, everything she’s built—her story, her relationship with Wallace, and even her sanity—begins to fall apart.”

What would you do if you could learn anything and everything about someone with the touch of a finger? Become popular? Fight crime? Tutor?  The protagonist of this story is a math genius and a psychometric teenager. A strange combination that somehow works in this book in which a gifted girl meets a dude with a weird name and some dark secrets.Synopsis:

“The more I touch someone, the more I can see and understand, and the more I think I can help. But that’s my mistake. I can’t help. You can’t fix people like you can solve a math problem.
Math genius. Freak of nature. Loner.

Eva Walker has literally one friend—if you don’t count her quadruplet three-year-old-siblings—and it’s not even because she’s a math nerd. No, Eva is a loner out of necessity, because everyone and everything around her is an emotional minefield. All she has to do is touch someone, or their shirt, or their cell phone, and she can read all their secrets, their insecurities, their fears.”

Scottish teenager Comet, is the daughter of  a wildly successful artist mother and equally successful author father. Though it had all the makings of a charmed life, Comet is a shy, quirky, loner who arch-nemesis is her own mother. Throughout the book, Comet learns to become someone more than just the product of eccentricity and neglect. The ending is open to interpretation but the plot was left feeling resolved (though I still hope for a sequel).Synopsis:

“I am Comet Caldwell.
And I sort of, kind of, absolutely hate my name.
People expect extraordinary things from a girl named Comet. That she’ll be effortlessly cool and light up a room the way a comet blazes across the sky.
But from the shyness that makes her book-character friends more appealing than real people to the parents whose indifference hurts more than an open wound, Comet has never wanted to be the centre of attention. She can’t wait to graduate from her high school in Edinburgh, Scotland, where the only place she ever feels truly herself is on her anonymous poetry blog. But surely that will change once she leaves to attend university somewhere far, far away.”

0 comments on “Books I Love: The Weird OnesAdd yours →