R. Gene Richter Scholarship Awarded to Three SC&IS Students

The R. Gene and Nancy Richter Foundation has selected six recipients for the 2022 Richter Scholarship. Three of the honorees are Smeal College of Business’s very own: Katie Cocco, Maria Karamanos, and Caden Hazenstab – all supply chain and information systems juniors – in addition to Abaan Kermani from University of Maryland, Jenna Murphy from University of Tennessee-Knoxville, and Syed Zaidi from Michigan State University.

“We are very proud of our students’ accomplishments,” said Kevin Linderman, Supply Chain & Information System (SC&IS) Department Chair and Professor of Supply Chain Management. “The R. Gene and Nancy Richter Foundations not only recognizes their excellence, but also helps mentor them to become future supply chain leaders.”

Pictured left to right: Katie Cocco, Caden Hazenstab, Maria Karamanos

The prominent scholarship program was discovered by this year’s award winners through connections to the reputable Smeal College of Business and a key faculty member within the SC&IS department: Dr. Bob Novack, Associate Professor in Supply Chain and Information Systems and CSCR® Director of Student Research and Student Outreach.

“Dr. Novack told me about the award and encouraged me to apply. Several of my role models here at Penn State who received this award shared that this would be a great benefit as I enter my career,” said Karamanos.

Cocco, a fellow Richter Scholar, was also swayed by the SC&IS professor.

“I decided to apply because of the program’s mission, the financial support offered, and encouragement I received from one of my favorite professors, Dr. Novack,” she said.

Not to be left out, the greater Smeal academic departments and centers serve as vital resources for students seeking support, access to scholarships, and networking opportunities.

“The SC&IS department has provided invaluable experiences that support my pursuits in both job and scholarship processes,” noted Hazenstab. “This includes extensive work as an undergraduate teaching assistant, CSCR research engagements, the Supply Chain Career Fair, and much more. I’m beyond grateful to be a part of such an exceptional department.”

The foundation and the award, established in 2004, are named after the late R. Gene Richter. To date, the scholarship has grown into the largest national scholarship program in the field of supply chain and has been awarded to over 125 students from 25 different universities across the country. The R. Gene Richter Scholarship is offered to students enrolled in an accredited supply chain management program and offers tuition assistance, mentoring, and networking opportunities.

As cost of education is always a consideration, the program aims to fund students’ final year of college, with eligible recipients graduating in December 2022 or May 2023. Tuition assistance in the amount of $5,000 is available to the winter graduates, whereas the spring graduates receive $10,000 in scholarship funding.

“Receiving this scholarship will undoubtedly help me in my academic pursuits. Not only will the scholarship aid in the financial burden of a college degree, but it will also serve as a springboard to my career,” shared Cocco, in reference to the multitude of benefits. “These unique offerings will help me to grow as an undergraduate student as well as a life-long learner.”

While financial support is a key component of the scholarship, the benefits of receiving this distinguished scholarship extend far beyond a monetary amount. Richter Scholars are paired with an Executive Mentor who is a leader in the field of supply chain management and a Junior Mentor, who was a previous recipient of the award.

“I am most excited to get to know my mentors’ career paths and how they continue to grow and develop in their roles. I love hearing about the courses people take and the books they are reading to stay up to date in their field and enrich their workdays,” said Karamanos.

The 2022 Richter Scholars are invited to attend the Institute for Supply Management (ISM) International Conference in Orlando, FL on May 22 – 25, 2022. The students will be presented at the conference and given the opportunity to engage with their mentors. Bringing the scholarship full circle, the Richter Scholars are then invited to return to the ISM conference in 2024 to attend the Executive Conference and network with leaders in the field.

As the award winners look toward the future, they seek to capitalize on their opportunities and bring their experiences to their upcoming internships.

This summer, Hazenstab and Cocco will be working in Austin, TX, as a Global Operations interns at Dell Technologies. Upon graduation, the students hope to land roles in a supply chain rotational program and with a fortune 500 company in the supply chain field, respectively. Karamanos will intern at Microsoft this summer and looks forward to taking part in a company’s rotational program after graduation.

,